Balancelot Review (PlayStation 4)
Use your controller or keyboard to balance the clumsy but fully functional unicycle. Thrust the threatening mythical monsters with your sharpened lance as they sit on your way to glory. Climbing over the dead enemies with your unicycle may be the last climb you take.
- Nice hand-drawn graphics.
- 172.7MB download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Easy Platinum trophy.
- Tutorial signs.
- Platformer gameplay.
- Gimmick-you have to navigate a level all whilst balancing your character with the shoulder buttons. You fail if you fall too far forward or backward.
- Can attack enemies.
- Minimalistic animation style.
- Hardcore mode.
- Six characters to unlock in Bouncelot mode.
- Two sets of levels, Bouncelot, and Spooky island.
- Twelve total characters with the ones from Spooky Island included.
- Levels are timed for completion.
- Cutesy cutscenes.
- Death counter.
- Takes a while to get used to the controls.
- No sensitivity sliders.
- The lance you have is the real enemy as it messes you up constantly.
- Not the fastest restarts.
- Checkpoints are far apart.
- Can get like 90 percent of the trophies in the first level!
- No replay value.
- No leaderboards.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun factor - 7/107/10
Bouncelot is a game all about balancing your character and navigating the level, personally, I see this as more of a game that will test your stress levels and reflexes and for me, it was a mess of swearing and teeth grinding. The premise is simple but executing simple actions like moving is difficult. What bugged me the most is you have a lance that will do nothing but annoy the absolute fuck out of you, it will knock your balance off, make movement a nightmare as it sticks to the ground. I did however manage to get all but one trophy in the first level so there is that sense of achievement. Overall I found Bouncelot to be a good idea but the core mechanics are not that great and are more a game of needless stress rather than fun and challenging.