Blizzard Unveil New Content At Gamescom
Blizzard today revealed a detailed preview of its lineup for this month’s gamescom, the world’s largest interactive entertainment trade fair, at http://gamescom.blizzard.com. The developer plans to showcase brand-new content for six of its award-winning game franchises at what will be its largest presence at gamescom to date.
From Wednesday, August 17 to Sunday, August 21, visitors to the developer’s booth in Hall 7 of the Koelnmesse will have the chance to play World of Warcraft: Legion, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void, Hearthstone, and all three Diablo games on more than 500 gaming stations.
World of Warcraft
- World of Warcraft: Legion will come to life during an epic celebration of the game’s upcoming sixth expansion, taking place at the Legion Café at Gürzenich Köln in central Cologne between 17:00 CEST and midnight each day from August 18-21.
o Inspired by The Fel Hammer, the Demon Hunter Order Hall from Legion, the Legion Café will give visitors a taste of what it’s like to be the expansion’s new hero class—see Blizzard’s recent blog post on the subject for details.
- Legion will be publicly playable in Europe for the first and final time before the Legion invades Azeroth on the expansion’s August 30 release date.
- Just in time for gamescom, Overwatch’s new German map, Eichenwalde, will be playable at the Blizzard booth before going live in September.
o Set in an abandoned castle town on the outskirts of Stuttgart, Germany, Eichenwalde is an Assault/Escort hybrid map where one team must escort a battering ram to the castle, while the opposing team fights to prevent the keep from being breached.
- The world premiere of the new Overwatch animated short, “The Last Bastion,” will be revealed on Blizzard’s gamescom stage and via live stream on the Blizzard gamescom site at 18:00 CEST onThursday, August 18.
Heroes of the Storm
- The new Machines of War event will be playable at the Blizzard booth at gamescom, introducing new StarCraft-themed battlegrounds, minions, mercenaries, bosses, and more to the Nexus.
o The new Braxis Holdout battleground takes place on the junkyard planet of Port Scion, where terran and zerg forces clash, while Warhead Junction allows players to deal huge amounts of damage with nuclear weapons that spawn across the battleground.
o New heroes playable at gamescom include StarCraft’s Alarak, a melee assassin, andOverwatch’s Zarya—the Nexus’ second ranged warrior.
o Machines of War also brings us a new ‘Queen of Ghosts’ Kerrigan Legendary skin, as well as other StarCraft-themed skins and mounts.
- Brawlmania will deliver an epic Heroes of the Storm showdown on the Blizzard stage throughout gamescom as six teams of influencers and pro players face off in fun themed showmatches—see the related blog post for details.
- The Tal’darim Highlord Alarak, a new Protoss commander for StarCraft II Co-op Missions, will be playable at the Blizzard booth, along with his unique Supplicant unit.
- Collections are being unveiled at gamescom, and will make it easier than ever for StarCraft II players to organize and choose vanity items like skins and voice packs.
- Visitors to the Blizzard booth will be able to hone their Hearthstone card-slinging skills and join forces with a friend to take down Nefarian (again) in a new cooperative Tavern Brawl.
- In celebration of Diablo’s 20th anniversary, gamescom attendees will be able to play all three Diablo games at the Blizzard booth, including recent updates to Diablo II and Diablo III: Reaper of Souls