Dead Island Review (PlayStation 3)
Dead Island Review Pros:
- Decent graphics.
- Big open-world areas in various locations.
- Action RPG survival gameplay.
- Platinum trophy.
- tutorial pop-ups as you play.
- you can drive a pickup truck around!
- The resort level is lush to look at and a joy to explore.
- Varied weapons to be scavenged/found.
- Great tense atmosphere, You never feel safe.
- Great fun in 4 player co-op.
- Drop-in and out co-op.
- Long campaign with many many optional side quests.
- Ability to upgrade weapons.
- Has the whole “loot” mentality.
- Weapons have durability.
- The combat is very hack and slash all though you can find ranged weapons.
- So many things to loot from cupboards to suitcases to beds and cars.
- tense atmosphere throughout.
- Play how you want.
- Can block, Attack, and throw weapons.
- Enviromental hazards are aplenty like exploding cars, barrels, and the like.
- Door smashing mini-game where you time your hits.
- Zombies react to noise.
- Characters will do call-outs as needed.
- Fast travel unlocks overtime.
- Impressive on-screen zombie count.
- Clear easy to read hud and UI.
- Combat is easy to master.
- Four Characters to choose from, Each with their own unique talents and playstyle.
Dead Island Review Cons:
- Combat can get a bit samey and tired after a while.
- Autosaves can sometimes not work despite telling you it has worked.
- Finding the rarer items is a grind and purely based on luck.
- All zombies are the same throughout the game.
- The slowdown in places.
- The story is very cheesy and predictable.
- Not a lot of incentive to go back through the campaign.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
This game is a true marmite game, You either love it or hate it. It is a solid 40 hour plus game that does reward your hard work. Best enjoyed in co-op with a few of your buddies. But overall the template laid out here is a solid one. Dead Island boasts an impressive loot system combined with a good hack and slashes combat system but the real gem is the atmosphere and location, They absolutely nail the B movie level of horror and tension but present it on nice colorful holiday resorts and built-up suburban towns. It really is a fun game to get your loot on and with so many ways to play Dead Island is a game you should definitely check out or at the very least keep an eye on.