Developed by Reflections and published under Psygnosis, This 1995 beast of a game blew up on the scene. Bringing us banger racing from a whole new perspective. How were we to know this would go on to be a cult classic series. Lets take a look back at this gem…..
- Racing is fast and frantic straight from the off
- Campaign spans stock car racing to a full on destruction derby bowl championships
- Bowl races involve 12 cars all in an arena smashing each other up earning points, Bonus points for wrecking opponents or causing them to spin out
- By today’s standard this would be called Dark Souls on wheels, Fighting with opponents is a gamble and you will fail ALOT at first, Perseverance is the key to success
- Music is banging giving us techno to mad hard metal
- Levels are big and offer a lot of danger included the dreaded figure of 8 circuit
- Great satisfaction when you tap someones back wheel and cause a spin out that in turn causes a huge pile up
- Handling before any smashes is tight and not overly sensitive
- Full damage model from doors and bonnets falling off to full blow outs of engines
- Its to easy to completely wreck your car after just a few shunts
- Tracks are too narrow to do any proper maneuvers
- Campaigns can get very repetitive most notably the bowl championship
- If you get knocked the wrong way on a junction its nigh on impossible to rectify it without wrecking in seconds
In summary the game is a great game as long as your prepared to put the time in. Yes its harsh but then who said it would be easy. The sequel fixed alot of the issues found in this game and improved on the core game play, But don’t let that put you off trying out the original. So buckle up and 3….2……1…….GO!