King Of Seas Preview (Steam Early Access)
King of Seas is an Action Role-playing game set in a procedural pirate world. An epic adventure awaits you in a fantastic world, dotted with fights, lost islands, and treasures. A universe that will keep you anchored as you struggle to become the king of all pirates.
- Decent cartoon-like graphics.
- 1115MB Download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Controller support.
- Graphics-fullscreen, resolution, v-sync, anti-aliasing, textures, view distance, shadows, effects, and post-processing.
- Display-damage/critical damage numbers-on/off.
- Dialogue speed-1 to 3.
- Five difficulties-ships boy, gunner, captain, corsair, and King of Seas. (last 2 are currently locked out).
- Two character choices–MaryLou and Lucky.
- ARPG gameplay.
- Beautiful locations.
- Brief opening tutorials then ongoing help.
- Brilliant nautical soundtrack.
- Play how you want.
- Main and side missions.
- Many mission types from combat to trading to escorting and more.
- Buy and equip new powers and abilities for your boat.
- Repair your boat wither at sea or at the port.
- The map fills in as you play.
- Other ships can turn hostile.
- Day/night cycle.
- Sea monsters.
- Unlock the ability to catch fish and sell them.
- Forty-five-minute demo.
- Combat is, however, you want it to be, you have cannons that shoot left or right and you can swap between different cannonball styles for different kinds of damage.
- Loot can be found at sea and on beaches and you can search for wrecks and treasure spots.
- All ports have different prices for buying and selling as well as different stock.
- Easy to compare new and equipped items.
- Treasure maps can be found.
- Earn EXP and get points to put into one of three talent trees covering-navigation, battle, and voodoo.
- Hire new crewmates.
- Compass along with wind speed.
- Boat speed has 3 increments that you increase or decrease.
- 3 views you can swap between.
- Enemy health bars are shown.
- End of demo breakdown showing what you did.
- Easy to read Hud system.
- A lot of fun.
- Cool little bits of detail like fog and volcanoes that can erupt and take your ship down.
- Respawn back at the last port visited.
- Can skip the tutorial.
- A small set of graphics options.
- Can’t skip the opening video or cutscenes.
- Only one control layout.
- Slow starter.
- No voicework in character exchanges.
- Invisible walls.
- Can’t skip the opening cutscene even on multiple plays.
- The tutorial is way too basic.
- A lot of open water with not a lot of action.
- Combat is either really easy or difficult.
- Everything like repair and scavenging is just a case of stopping dead.
- Cannot flip the camera around it’s just an isometric view making it hard to see around.
It’s worth noting that this is from a timed demo that I could replay as much as I want but it was always reset. King of Seas is a pirate game whereby you go around and you can take on other ships, trade items with other ports, and basically do whatever you want! I loved the idea of it and I can see where they are going with it, the visuals are beautiful it’s worth noting, the way the world reacts to you like sea creatures attacking you, volcanoes erupting, and more. I loved just chilling and exploring the world, I took the main quest line seriously the first time around but I gave up after that as I wanted to push the game. I found it had a lot of downtime with wide-open empty Seas, combat was constantly up and down but when the game was good it was excellent but when it was bad it was boring. From what I have played and weighing it up I can honestly say this is a game you need to keep an eye on, it’s shaping up to be something special.