Konami announces the return of the Contra franchise with Contra: Rogue Corps
Konami Digital Entertainment, B.V. today announced the return of the Contra franchise to console and PC with CONTRA: ROGUE CORPS. On September 26th, players will experience the series that inspired countless shooting games since its 1987 debut.
Adding to the surprise of CONTRA: ROGUE CORPS’ development and upcoming launch, KONAMI is also pleased to announce the Contra Anniversary Collection, containing 10 classic games in the storied Contra franchise, is now available for purchase on all digital game stores.
CONTRA: ROGUE CORPS is a twin-stick, third-person action game drawing upon its roots in fast and focused combat developed for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC (STEAM). From the director of CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS and CONTRA: HARD CORPS, Nobuya Nakazato instills more than 25 years of franchise pedigree into CONTRA: ROGUE CORPS with enormous crazed enemies, over-the-top violence, and a cast of diverse playable characters that add to the irreverent tone of the game.
Several years after the events of the Alien Wars, CONTRA: ROGUE CORPS follows a former military group living on the fringes as bounty hunters and treasure finders in the Damned City. Survival requires fast reactions, powerful weapons and the occasional organ and cybernetic augmentation. Players will complete missions in PVE campaigns, gathering resources to upgrade their guns to stay alive in the Damned City. If all else fails… bring in a friend and mow-down enemies together in online and local multiplayer modes!
Key Game Features:
- Action shooter with fast-paced, run & gun style gameplay
- Choose from 4 diverse characters with their own unique skills and specialty attacks – determine weapons load out, customise and craft unique weapons and create a perfect symphony of destruction throughout the Damned City
- Operation Room – Upgrade characters and abilities, augmenting each with improved organs and cybernetics
- PVE – Deep single player Story campaign mode chock-full of challenging missions among hordes of enemies. Go solo or group with up to 4 friends or random players online* in multi-player
- PVP – Create custom matches (private mode) for 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 or 1vs4 players*
- Local Couch CO-OP modes with up to 4 players**
- Four diverse characters with their own unique skills and specialty attacks:
- Kaiser – A soldier from the Alien Wars rebuilt after receiving massive injuries, now has a massive arm that transforms into a drill.
- Ms Harakiri – Famed assassin specialising in stealth and infiltration, after barely escaping death during the Alien Wars, she fused together with an alien, now taking residence in her midsection.
- Hungry Beast – Once the noted (human) scientist Kurt Steiner, he had his brain inserted into a giant cyborg panda and now spends most of his time looking for delicious snacks.
- Gentleman – Brain Bug alien raised by humans. Feels the rest of the team are ill-mannered and vulgar, especially the Panda. Argues over table manners and the neatest and most efficient way to dispatch an enemy.
*Online Multiplayer requires subscription to Xbox Live Gold, PlayStation® Plus or Nintendo Switch Online
**Switch players can also play local wireless multiplayer. Each player is required to have a system and game.
Pre-order CONTRA: ROGUE CORPS now from retailers at RRP £39.99 to secure the limited day one edition. This day one edition will include two retro Contra-inspired in-game t-shirts as exclusive character skins for Hungry Beast to adorn. Both the standard and the day one edition will feature a reversible cover from legendary illustrator Tom DuBois, creator of several iconic KONAMI game cover art including CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS, OPERATION C and several renowned Castlevania titles.
CONTRA: ROGUE CORPS is a brand new canonical entry to the franchise that picks up following the events of CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS. For those looking to re-immerse or introduce themselves to the Contra series, KONAMI is pleased to release today the awaited Contra Anniversary Collection, featuring CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS and several other beloved games in the franchise.
The full catalogue of titles in the Contra Anniversary Collection includes:
- CONTRA (Arcade)
- SUPER CONTRA (Arcade)
- SUPER C (NES)
- CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS (SNES)
- CONTRA: HARD CORPS (Sega Genesis)
- CONTRA (NES)
- CONTRA (Famicom)
- OPERATION C (Game Boy)
- PROBOTECTOR (Sega Mega Drive)
- SUPER PROBOTECTOR: ALIEN REBELS (Super Nintendo)
- Bonus eBook
In a free patch to be released shortly after launch, Contra Anniversary Collection players will receive Japanese version of select titles including: Contra (Arcade), Super Contra: Alien no Gyakushū (Arcade), Super Contra (Famicom), Contra Spirits(Super Famicom), Contra (Gameboy), Contra The Hard Corps (Mega Drive), plus Japanese scans from the bonus eBook.
The Contra Anniversary Collection is part of KONAMI’s 50th anniversary celebration compiling titles from its beloved franchises and retro games including the previously released Castlevania Anniversary Collection and Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection.
The Contra Anniversary Collection launch trailer can be viewed here – https://youtu.be/eg-n1Y-JH5U