Review: Battle Group 2
Your battleships are fully loaded with the return of Battle Group. Command the war against advanced pirates with brand new Satellite Strikes and upgrades for your state-of-the-art battleships. As the commanding gunner of this advanced armada, it’s imperative you stop a terrifying new foe our world has yet to fathom.
- Brilliant graphics with some amazing detail on the ships,planes and scenery. The water in particular is wonderful.
- Before start up of the game you can select your resolution and graphic quality which ranges from simple to fantastic. Window mode can also be selected.
- Keys can be re mapped.
- High octane opening FMV that feels and looks like a movie trailer.
- Opening section is a tutorial, Further tips are given through out your play through.
- Full stat screen on the main menu.
- Full Steam integration with Achievements and trading cards.
- Game play is a very old school shooter, You are in control of a fleet of ships and must shoot down enemy planes, ships,and buildings. You ships are on rails and all you need to do is concentrate on shooting the enemy.
- Your main gun has unlimited ammo but has to reload. Clip size varies depending on upgrades. A clear system tells you how many shots you have. Best thing is the gun will regen bullets more than an actual reload sequence.Gun can also be shot as fast as you can click the button.
- Build up multiplier streaks to earn bonus upgrade points.
- Destroying enemies will earn you oil which is the currency used for upgrading your ship or buying new ones.
- Mission progress bar on the top left so you can check how far in a level you are.
- Upgrading your ship is quick easy and straight forward.
- You can buy/unlock special moves with limited uses. An example of one is the ability to slow down time with your gun running on rapid fire for a short period.
- Efficiency rank is awarded at the end of the level and is split into 3 stars with each star being a percentage of enemies killed/streaks earned.
- You can replay any beaten level.
- Huge selection of enemies who all have unique attack capabilities, they all take different actions to kill as well, Planes take 2 hits and choppers 3 hits for example.
- Banging action movie inspired soundtrack.
- Full voice over.
- Levels are short and perfect for the pick up and quick play audience.
- No thorough video options like AA and v-sync options.
- Minimal actual game play options .
- Main menu just looks really bare and empty.
- No online leaderboards.
- A shot game overall and without worrying about ranking everything, You could dust it in a few hours.
In Summary, This is a game that will appeal to many gamers as it has a lot of elements and feels from older games. The shooting, sound effects are top and add so much atmosphere. Upgrading your ship is so easy and fun that once started, I couldnt stop playing until I finished it a few hours later. The game looked really basic in the screenshots yet in reality it is a high octane shooter and the soundtrack is brilliant. Word on the street is that we are getting more content as the dev is very approachable and commited to the future of the game, This is good new and I can only hope we get some type of online support. Leader boards would be amazing but a co op section would be epic, Maybe even Steam Workshop integration but Im getting carried away here. For what you pay for, You get a decent shooter with a lot of life in it as you track all the ranks. Just give it a try!