Review: Chicken Bomb (Steam)
Chicken Bomb: It is a topdown style game with RPG elements, inspired by the Bomberman franchise. You control a chicken and you need to defeat the other animals in the scenario using your bomb eggs;
- Nice cartoon graphics.
- 292mb Download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Controller support.
- Graphics-fullscreen, resolution and quality preset (low/medium/high).
- Can rebind controls.
- 3 save slots.
- Five worlds.
- Bomberman style gameplay-drop bombs and blow up the enemy and bushes.
- Bushes can reveal power-ups and objectives.
- Simple controls.
- Power-ups like speed boost.
- Fast loading times.
- Earn EXP, then put points into upgrading your chicken. Upgrades–bomb amount, health, speed and bomb radius, etc.
- Can replay levels.
- Easy to learn.
- Not a bad soundtrack, very upbeat and generic.
- Levels randomize every life.
- Power-ups carry over to the next level but you lose them if you die.
- Keep any earned Exp upon death.
- Mouse cursor stays on the screen.
- Basic graphic settings.
- No tutorial.
- Zero explanation on how the 3-star rank works.
- Sluggish movement.
- The menu is clunky and with the controller, you never know what you are clicking on.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Even in the description game, it tells you what type of game this is, it’s Bomberman but with a Chicken! It plays as you would expect it too, albeit very sluggish and clunky. After a while, it becomes clear why the controls are like this, for the game adds in exp and leveling up and one of the parts you can upgrade is indeed the movement speed so that fixes that. In fact, the EXP introduction is a welcome one and one that fits the game well, for even if I suck, as long as I get a few kills I know I can make my chicken betterer. Level layouts will randomize every life and to be honest there isn’t much else to say. You can blow up plants and find power-ups and objectives but it always comes down to killing all enemies. It’s a Bomberman clone and makes no bones about it, it starts off rough but gets better and the exp/level up is a really cool idea.