Review: Chuhou Joutai (Steam)
One’s green, one’s blue, they’re gonna hit you in the head! This is Chuhou Joutai, a shooter game like no other. The country of Kozan has entered a period of civil war against a left-wing extremist group called SPASDOT. Taking the role as The Real Driller or Princess Kagami, your mission is to find and defeat SPASDOT’s leader in order to shut them down for good.
- Gorgeous pixel art graphics.
- 223mb download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Controller support.
- Graphics-fullscreen and resolution.
- Remote play together support.
- An Analog test happens before playing.
- Shmup/bullet hell gameplay.
- Two modes-free play and arcade.
- Own in-game achievements.
- Extras-music player and achievement Centre.
- Two-player local support.
- Two characters–Driller and Kagami. Each has two weapon types.
- Four difficulties-easy/normal/diffuclt/lunatic.
- Awesome Chiptune soundtrack.
- Cutscenes are text-based.
- Feels nostalgic.
- So much fun to play.
- Loads of replay value.
- Gunplay-shoot freely or do a powerful more channeled attack pattern.
- Can move all around the screen.
- Boss battles.
- Collect orbs for points and health.
- Nice locations.
- It doesn’t do fullscreen.
- Only two resolution options.
- No tutorial.
- Have to work out controls yourself.
- No online leaderboards.
- Hard to identify projectiles and orbs.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Man oh man I do enjoy myself a Shmup. Having never played a game like this before I instantly became enamoured with it, the graphics, the music is hypnotising but the game play is just so much fun, it evoked so many retro gaming moments and whilst I can’t quite put my finger on it, I played through the game multiple of times and just wanted more and more. It’s a solid piece of gaming with excellent boss fights but the music and locations you play over are just so well executed. This game surprised me and has instantly become a classic for me.