Review: Letter Quest
Spell words to fight your way through 40 stages in this addictive word game. Join Grimm and Rose on their amazing adventure through a world full of monsters and treasure!
- Cartoon graphics with brilliant cartoon animations.
- Bookworm meets puzzle quest gameplay. Basically its a game where you make words to attack enemies, Level up and buy upgrades and items.
- You can play using just the keyboard or by just using a mouse.
- Opening tutorial, You have a help button that once pressed, Will put a question mark over everything on screen, clicking one will give you an explanation.
- Has its own achievements in game.
- Unlock and use different tiles to change up the UI.
- You can make any words using any of the letters in the box. You dont need to have letters touching or anything.If a word is valid it will put a blue line around the word.
- Different tile types appear in the letters b ox. They can help or hinder with you, Examples are ones like stone where you cannot use the tile. Or poison which damages you if you use the tile.
- Ongoing quests which grant bonus gems. Quests are things like: make 20 two letter words or use x amount of potions. You can buy to auto complete quests with gems.
- Gems are used as currency and used to buy upgrades like better scythes that grant health upon hit or damage taken, buy potions for health or cleansing corrupt tiles. More advanced unlocks are new heroes to play as or books which do bonus buffs like get extra health for using a certain letter or taking so much damage. Best thing is the books level up to give even better buffs.
- World map screen for level selection and you can replay levels.
- Each level has at least 3 stars. You get one star for finishing the level and then unlock additional stars for finishing the level but with different objectives. Typically the second star is a time trial even where you must finish the level within a time limit. The third star is much harder and usually has monster with more health or deal more damage. If you can unlock a fourth star this will be the hardcore one where you will face higher level monsters.
- Destroy bonus gem piles in level by making words just as you would to attack monsters.
- Bonus chests may appear in level and are a sort of mini game. its where you have x amount of attempts to guess what letters are in the word. In short its a take on Hangman.
- Mini bosses prove your worth while also giving you great bonus gems.
- Music is really annoying after playimg it for a while.
- Always a bone of contention with dis allowed words.
- Really hard to do any grinding for building up potions and new items.
- Bosses can be really unbalanced causing huge difficulty spikes.
In Summary, Brilliant game! It has now taken over from Book Worm as my go to word game. Might sound weird but I like having a word game to hand to keep my head straight. It has a few little niggles but overall the presentation, gameplay and overall experience is top notch. I hope to see this game on Steam soon and hope it does well. It is really easy to get into and even my 8 year old got in on the act (OK I used him to farm gems but still) A smart little game with hours of word finding fun! The devs may need to check their dictionaries though because betterer is blatantly a word as is many other Bristolian words! Well worth checking out.
You can buy the game for the price of a pint, Right here.