Review: Old Time Hockey (PlayStation 4)
Aggressive hockey is back in town! Experience hockey the way it was meant to be played in this old school arcade style hockey game where blood on the ice is just another day at the rink.
- 3.77GB download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Three difficulties-Newbie, Casual and Hardcore.
- Uses DS4 speaker.
- Two modes- Exhibition and story mode.
- Online leader board support.
- Settings- Period length, Offsides, Icing, Tie break, Puck size, HUD position and camera control/view.
- Controls- Four main presets with eleven different layouts including a two button layout.
- How to play section but you do get a tutorial of sorts in your first story mode game.
- Classic old school soundtrack with such hits as The Addams family theme tune, Hava Naglia and Yankee Doodle Dixie to name but a few.
- Ten teams to choose from.
- Home, Away and alternate uniforms for each team.
- Hilarious over the top commentary.
- Game play has everything you remember of the old game. Fights, Super shots and some over the top tackles and slams.
- Cell shaded cartoon style graphics.
- Slick fast moving pace in game.
- Pick up and play.
- Four player offline support.
- Fun retro atmosphere.
- Four story save slots.
- Story mode has a calendar layout with games coming up and any objectives you have and any rewards earned throughout the season.
- Collect vintage hockey cards.
- Loading times are not the quickest.
- Really difficult at the beginning due to the control/pace of game.
- AI is just too good even at newbie level. Course again this could be because of getting used to the game.
- Hard to make out where the puck is at times.
- Commentary whilst entertaining it does suffer from repetition.
- Only a handful of arenas.
- No arena select in exhibition.
- No online support.
- No official teams. Just putting this here so you know, Its not necessarily a bad thing but more a need to know kind of deal.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessability - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Old Time Hockey is a great hark back to the games of yester generation, Bringing back proper fights not seen since the Megadrive days and a soundtrack fitting the scene. The one thing it has unique are the controls with so many to choose from. The issue is you have so many it takes time to work out which one is for you and by now the game is already kicking your ass. The AI dont hold back and whilst this is a good challenge, For newbies this is a harrowing experience. Timing drop shots, Tackles and even passes have to be pin point accurate. I hated my first few games buut soon grew to love the charm the game brings. So to you I say be prepared to lose a lot and get frustrated but stick with it and you will get your old school hit, Oh and the game is good as well.