Review: Puyo Puyo Champions (PlayStation 4)
Easy to learn, tough to master! Challenge friends and family in local multiplayer or compete globally via online matchmaking. Built for all ages, this puzzle game comes with a surprisingly competitive edge.
- Bright colorful graphics.
- 776.2mb download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- 3 modes-Solo, Local mp and online.
- 9 control layouts including one-handed, lefty and table.
- 24 characters.
- Icon-customise, frame, character, and background.
- Set default character.
- Set default ruleset.
- Full stats section.
- Solo mode- Puyo Puyo 2 and Puyo Puyo Fever with both having battle and endurance modes.
- Online leaderboards with filters.
- All match replays autosave. (optional)
- Collection-bronze, silver, and gold which are tied to trophies.
- Game settings-set background, Puyo, song and fast drop.
- Battle game settings-comeback assist, handicap and win count.
- Watch/download other players replays.
- Online modes- Puyo Puyo league (ranked), Free play (unranked), Puyo Puyo broadcast (replays) and join friends room.
- Customise-40 odd backgrounds, Puyo models-Random, aqua, fever, classic, metallic, alphabet, retro, flat, capsules, chalk, MSX, Morolian blocks, humanoids, Sonic Puyos, and Game Gear.
- Fast loading times.
- Complete edition for Puyo fans.
- Gameplay-chain attacks together by matching 4 of the same color.
- Combo counter.
- Flashy animations.
- Bouncy happy soundtrack.
- No tutorials.
- No story mode.
- Doesn’t have clear difficulty settings.
- No unlocks.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Puyo Puyo is back! Crazy to say as Tetris Puyo only felt like yesterday. Here this is the game all Puyo Puyo fans will need. OK, it doesn’t have a single player story mode or any real tutorial help but to be honest this is a game for returning players. You can play against the AI and get practice in but the true meat of the game is online. You get all the unlocks and characters up front so all you need to do is brush up your skills and play. I love that they have done a game like this, zero distraction but on the flip side, it is a bit off-putting to not have any unlocks or anything really for the solo offline player. To put it simply Puyo Puyo Champions is a game for fans and caters to all things online and is a fine example of the game. It cuts out the filler and gives just the game!