Review: Red Wings Aces Of The Sky (Nintendo Switch)
Accompany the legendary Red Baron and cheat death on your way to victory! Conquer the skies of the Great War! Pilot legendary warplanes and witness aerial dogfights from the breakthrough stage of the history of flight.
- Decent cel-shaded graphics.
- 3.5gb download size.
- Plane shooter gameplay.
- Tutorial section.
- 2 modes- story mode and survival.
- Invert axis and sensitivity slider.
- Motion controls support.
- Story mode–two armies to play for each with their own story, Triple alliance, and Triple Entente.
- Four planes-one initials then unlock the other three from playing the game.
- Skill tree-presented as a stamp or rations book, the tree is split into 3 areas-ace perks/dogfight perks/mission perks.
- Warplane skins-unlock them by doing particular tasks in missions. (it tells you the criteria)
- Cutscenes are voiced and told across a comic book style feature.
- Each level reward you with 1-3 stars and you get a breakdown of time taken, enemies shot down, and your score.
- Actions- shooting, Aim down sights, squadron attack, death shot special, barrel roll, and quick 180-degree turn.
- Solid controls, they are responsive and work exactly how you want them to. Really impressive but buttons and gyro.
- Combo counter.
- Slight lock-on feature.
- Lightning-fast loading times.
- Arcade shooter action.
- Health rings are floating in the level, fly through to get health back.
- Clouds play a big part and block lockon and sight.
- Day/night levels.
- Survival mode-3 difficulties-easy/medium/hard.
- Boss and elite squadron fights.
- Variety of mission types.
- Local leaderboards.
- Survival mode-wave based can respawn.
- No multiplayer.
- Slight learning curve.
- Fights can get tricky with the AI movement.
- Controls definitely feel fiddly at times.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
What a smart little game this is, it absolutely nails the arcade flyer game and then some. The instant you get the hang of the controls, it’s a really deep adventure of dogfighting and aerial acrobatics! I just love how the game handles as its a big part! The story OK is not great but the variety of missions couple with a very dense skill tree keep it all fresh. The horde mode style survival mode is where the true game lies! Use any unlocked planes and go nuts, the amount of unlocks is high with many planes and even more skins, I just love how happy it all feels, Sure it is a bit of a one-trick but its a good trick and one that I would love to see expanded a bit more as what’s on offer is fine but is lacking somewhat.