Review: Space Pirate Trainer (PlayStation VR)
Space Pirate Trainer is the official trainer for wannabe space pirates in VR. Launched as one of the first titles for the new generation of VR devices, Space Pirate Trainer has been under continuous development on a mission to refine its gameplay and improve the overall experience. It has been widely used as one of the go-to demos for VR. No real droids where harmed during the creation of this game.
- Nice graphics.
- 2.78GB Download size.
- Ten trophies.
- VR Shooting gallery gameplay.
- Four modes- Arcade, Explorer, Hardcore and Oldschool.
- Arcade- Typical 3 lives mode.
- Explorer- Health regen between waves.
- Hardcore- No bullet time.
- Oldschool classic- mode with no fancy stuff.
- Barrel angle can be changed- 105, 112, SPT or 130.
- Two sight options- Reflex or 3 dots.
- Powerups on/off and give you things like Vortex that suck up all enemies or maybe you get rapid fire. All powerups only last a short time.
- Wave-based combat with a score breakdown at the end of every wave.
- Move button on/off.
- Music on/off and it is a very bass heavy almost techno-sounding ost.
- Unlocks- Weapon skins and a new environment.
- Online leaderboard with extensive filters like modes/friends etc.
- Bullet time- Can shoot the bullets or move out of the way, Either way, it looks and feels incredible.
- No reloading or cooldown meters! Instead, if you hold down shoot your rate of fire gets slower over time.
- Tons of replayability.
- Easy to pick up and play.
- Controls- Two move controllers.
- Minimal body movement unless you go full on neo in bullet time.
- Name entry is your typical 3 initial limit.
- Has local leaderboards.
- Party mode- Kind of like a local hotseat competition with settings and leaderboard.
- No actual tutorial.
- Hard to unlock skins especially if you are rubbish.
- Not sure what all powerups do.
- No platinum trophy.
- Gameplay is nearly always the same regardless of mode. Modes just change the scoring/health/powerups.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessability - 9/109/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Space Pirate Trainer is a VR game that has been polished to within an inch of its life. Even when I set the VR up wrong or have the lights on, The game works really well and the shooting feels fun. When you do actually set it all up properly you get even better accuracy, The guns take a short while to get used too but its never an issue, The bullet time is proper though, You get a noise that signals a bullet is close then the screen go all funky, Dodging bullets is a really good workout, Bit disorientating but a workout never the less. The weapons and skins do take a while to get especially if your not very good at aiming but they add more layers to the already solid combat. I wish we had just a bit more variety as all modes are essentially the same with different settings but I really cannot complain too much, I got zero sickness feeling and will now have this game as the defacto “set up game” In other words, this is my calibration tool moving forward.