Review: Spelunker HD
Brought to us by Tozai games. Get your mining cap on, grab some friends and jump into the world of Spelunker HD. Delve into the mines to find treasure and rare artifacts. Be warned: there be enemies down there, just waiting to stop you. So get all Indiana Jones up on this, get your gun ready, it’s looting time.
- 4 games modes: solo, group, group competition and championship mode.
- Online Leader boards monitoring depth, score and level reached.
- HD graphics or original graphics can be used.
- Rope assist can be switched on to increase the length of the rope, the frequency and how close and easy to grab the ropes.
- Online/offline co-op, up to 6 friends online and 4 players offline.
- Campaign is huge with loads of treasure to be found, including pieces that when collected get displayed on the loading screen and make a huge picture.
- Perfect for treasure hunters and noob Indiana Jones alike with hidden treasure and artifacts to be found.
- Save where you like, when you like.
- Enemies range from spiders, snakes to ghosts that can be killed with your hoover style gun.
- In your arsenal you have flares, bombs and the aforementioned gun.
- Great website showing off a lot of helpful hints and tips for beginners.
- DLC is very good and has some lush environments.
- Despite its difficulty, the game has a unique draw. I cant explain it but it keeps dragging you back in for more.
- It’s a really difficult game in terms of any fall, hole is instant death. I mean you could get off a ledge funny and that’s it, game over.
- Ladders and ropes are the biggest culprits for cheap deaths.
- Any lag at all online makes the game unplayable as it requires pin point jumps and timed runs.
- So yeah, cheap deaths are huge bad point.
- Hardly anyone plays it online now.
In summary, Spelunker HD, despite its insta-death mechanic, is one of the best games to download on PSN. The co-op is great fun, very challenging, and DLC extends the longevity of the game, but to be honest Spelunker HD doesn’t need much adding to it as it is a huge game to begin with. I enjoyed and still enjoy the charms of this game. It will infuriate you, you will hate the game but you know what? You WILL be back for more, it’s that type of game!