Review: StarDrone Extreme (PlayStation Vita)
StarDrone may sound familiar to many a PS3 player. This is due to the fact that this is a portable and more extreme version of the PS3 version released a while back. Offering to give players more levels and a tougher challenge, we take a look at the games outing on the Playstations Vita handheld.
- One problem from the original game was quite clumsy controls using the controller, luckily on the Vita, it is a touch screen affair. Improving the controls instantly.
- Gameplay consists of guiding your ship around a level, this is done by hooking onto markers, using gravitational pulls and bouncing off walls. All the while avoiding spikes and other nasties that will damage and destroy your very fragile ship.
- Cross-platform saves between Vita and PS3, carry on with your save on the go and vice versa.
- Over 60 levels are available for you to conquer.
- Gameplay moves at such a pace, quick reflexes and learning the level layouts will help you.
- Levels are short so suit the handheld casual gamer a lot.
- Has online leaderboard for all the score chasers out there. Which is also cross-compatible with PS3 players.
- Bright sparkly graphics with a space backdrop are a visual feast for your eyes.
- A tutorial is available and helps you get to grips with the controls, whilst breaking you into the game slowly.
- Penned as a puzzler, the game looks very Solar Jetman on a string in looks and play.
- Inconsistent difficulty spikes throughout the game. You can go flying through levels then find a real hard as nails level. Yes it should be a bit like that in games but due to the fact, the levels don’t get progressively harder, instead, they are easier, then go bastard hard back to cake walk.
- Sometimes you can’t see the levels properly when your fingers are all over the screen, but this could be due to my large hands!
- Every now and then you will get the problem where the game won’t pick up your touches.
In summary, this game is alright. It’s a cheap download and works well on Vita so it is a good title to have if only to dip into every now and then. Due to the small levels, it is a good title for the casual play. I enjoyed my time with it except the levels that I deemed impossible! A demo is available so please give it a try to see for yourself.