Review: Stealth Inc: A Clone In The Dark
Stealth games are awesome. Hiding from The Man, skulking in shadows, the thrill of unseen infiltration. But why do they have to be so… slow? Stealth Inc. is a fast-paced stealth platformer featuring brutal hazards, ruthless enemies, fiendish puzzles and red pixels galore. Armed with only your wits and a pair of top of the range Stealthing Goggles, it’s your job to sneak your way through a deadly facility that’s determined to extinguish your fragile little life. With no weapons and no armour, being seen means instant death.
- Cross buy/ Cross save. Buy it on PS3 and get the Vita version for free.
- Lovely graphics that look even better on the Vita screen, Excellent lighting effects coupled with some really detailed animations.
- puzzle platformer with a insta kill mechanic. Guide your character through ever increasing levels of difficulty. Avoid being seen by the security cameras and find the exit.
- All levels are timed and is only used for leader board purposes.
- Over 60 levels in the base game. The game is made up of 8 areas with 8 levels within each, 7 actual levels and the final one being a boss.
- Unlock new costumes/abilities that can make subsequent playthrough’s easier and allow you to tackle levels in new and varied ways.
- Epic boss battles that do nothing except ramp up the pressure and joy from playing the game.
- Clear indication of how well your hidden, Both written on screen with your status and of course the goggles. The goggles will go red when your visible and green when your in a safe place, usually shadows.
- Leaderboard support. Can be filtered by friends and the world and can be split into types: with equipment (upgrades/new costumes) and without equipment.
- Catchy techno inspired soundtrack that add to the drama and is a good fit for the game. Listening to it through headphones on the Vita is the best way to experience it.
- Cloud sync is simple and from what I have used is flawless. Just press square to sync the saves and carry on with your game no matter the device.
- Vita version is identical to the PS3 version except it has touch enabled menus and selections in game.
- You get a set number of tokens which can be used to skip levels you may get stuck on, ensuring your playthrough is uninterrupted.
- The game is fun as much as it is hard. It will have you pulling your hair out one minute, and laughing the next.
- Hidden collectibles called Helices are scattered through out the game and are in some really clever places. Explore the levels carefully and pay attention.
- Addictive gameplay that brings the “one more go” ethos to the forefront of this experience.
- Completing levels gives you a rank at the end that is based on times spotted,deaths and completion time. Ranks are on a S,A,B,C,D system with S being the best.
- Has a full on level editor/creator with some powerful tools at your disposal. Make huge sprawling levels to tight enclosed mini levels. Your only limitation is your creative mind.
- The game can and will make you feel stupid at times.
- The music choice is not to everyones taste.
- Not a quick trophy chasing game. Prepare for the long haul.
- They changed the name from Stealth Bastard which although is understandable, It kind of detracts from the name.
- Its the same base game as Stealth Bastard Deluxe which is avaible for a lot cheaper on PC.
- You cannot upload or download user created levels which feels like a missed trick.
- Unlocked equipment/costumes can only be used on the level they were unlocked in.
In summary, The game is great fun and easy to play but hard to master. Sounds cliche but them’s the brakes. It starts off easy and breaks you into the game softly with a simple tutorial, Before dropping you into the game that as said only increases in difficulty. Stay hidden, stay safe and keep your wits about you in order to survive and win the game. With cloud sync you can always have the game to hand and you will need the practice. Yes it lacks the ability to share levels, but the game gives you more than enough to get your teeth into. Levels change/morph almost like a jigsaw as you progress and with multiple settings, it always stays fresh. But again I must stress, the puzzles can be dam right rage inducing, so persevere and you will be rewarded. The unlockable costumes/equipment are excellent and are real game changers. Sit back turn the lights down low and get your stealth on!