Review: Worms BattleGrounds
Get ready for the most explosive entry to the hit strategy series yet. Destroy your opposition with over 200 customisation items and four improved Worm classes with new special abilities.
- Classic cartoon Worms graphics, That we have come to expect over the years.
- Controls remain unchanged from previous games and feel natural and comfortable.
- Speech from the Worms come through the Dualshock 4 controller.
- Excellent and humorous narration by Katherine Parkinson (Plays Jen in I.T Crowd)
- Tutorial level in the story mode.
- Three game modes to choose from: Local play, Online and BattleGrounds.
- Battlegrounds is your clan based online section. You can edit your team, name your clan and make an emblem for your clan. You can view leaderboards and set up games through this section.
- Offline menu gives you: Versus, Story and worm ops.
- Online menu gives you: Quick match, Ranked and player matches. You can host player/ranked matches.
- You can play standard classic death match or play the newer mode forts.
- You can customize your worms for offline play and is very similiar to the clan options. Name your team, your worms, dress them up and even pick from a huge selection of voices. Of course the now staple options of choosing your gravestones and dances are included.
- Online leader board support throught out the game.
- Checkpoint system in story levels so if you die mid level you wont have to start from the beginning again.
- As from previous Worms games, You have 4 different types of worm with different abilities. Scouts can move fast and not trigger mines where brainiacs will show crate locations.
- You can create your own levels and use them online. Forts are particularly good.
- So many weapons to choose from with a host of new ones added. From classic sheep bombs to water pistols to telekinesis, the game has you well covered for fire power.
- AI takes it turns a lot faster and overall the game runs much better than previous games.
- You can assign weapons to a shortcut menu which utilizes the touch pad on the Dualshock 4 controller. Just swipe to equip the weapon.
- Handy tutorial pop ups through out the game.
- So many levels in the story mode and taking in a lot of great locations. Prehistoric to Egyptian to vikings are just a few examples of the levels awaiting you.
- Has offline multiplayer and hot seat options.
- Stat screen of the game at the end of each match along with a permenant stat screen in the options.
- Can get stuck in the scenery, Its like parts of the level dont quite match up and you fall in a very small crevice.Cannot select between the different worm types in team setup screens.
- Selecting weapons quickly is a bit poor as the highlight cursor is not that bright.
- You dont like worms in general.
In Summary, This is the best Worms game to date. It incorporates everything we know and love of the genre and adds a whole load more on top. With AI turns taking less time and the story mode having an excellent story and narration, It really is one of those games that has something for everyone. The clan section is thorough and easy to use, Allowing you to play certain people or go all random is a nice touch. The game is still as smooth and fun as it has always been and the physics of the water and explosions is just incredible. Its a game that you will keep coming back to time and time again.