Review: Wreckfest (Steam)
Wreckfest is a demolition derby themed racing game with soft-body damage modeling, sophisticated driving dynamics and in-depth vehicle upgrading, featuring both demolition derbies and more traditional track races. It’s all about fun, breakneck racing and over-the-top crashes.
- Fantastic graphics with a high level of detail.
- 13785MB Download size.
- 32 or 64 Bit choice upon launch.
- Graphics- Resolution, Aspect ratio, Refresh rate, MSAA, Particles, Grass, Texture, Reflections, Shadows, v-sync, Windowed, and anisotropy. Has an overall graphic drop-down box.
- Network options- Server update frequency and client prediction time.
- Controller support.
- Can rebind keys.
- The game actually restarts if it needs to. (Graphics settings)
- Three modes- Career, Custom and online.
- Overall player rank. Earn EXP from playing.
- Realistic handling. Each car handles very differently.
- Two damage models- Normal and realistic.
- Controller options- Deadzone, Sensitivity sliders.
- Full photo mode with filters zooms etc.
- Level up to unlock cars and items for your car.
- Garage- Paint, Tune, Upgrade and buy cars.
- Deep customization options and each part can be upgraded, Adjust handling, Suspension, and brakes.
- Preview new parts before buying them, Shows stats change.
- Rock soundtrack.
- Runs really well even on my i5 970 setups.
- Each career race has bonus optional targets for extra loot.
- Career- Play events and earn stars to unlock more events. Five championships to unlock.
- FOV slider.
- Bonus EXP can be earned by attacking your opponent like spinning them out or causing damage.
- Over 20 racing locations and bowls.
- MP- Server browser, Create lobby with full control like race settings and passwords.
- Full mod/Steam workshop support.
- Few racing modes- Demolition derby, Banger racing and demolition racing.
- Game types for online/custom are deathmatch, TDM, and the last man standing.
- Superb engine noises.
- Pure chaos.
- Well designed tracks with jumps, turns, and routes.
- Steam achievements.
- Over 20 vehicles to unlock.
- Online Leaderboards.
- Excellent fun.
- Online is pure mayhem.
- Destruction on the track from tire walls to signs and fences.
- Long frequent load times.
- Music is not for everyone.
- No minimap in game.
- Small text in places.
- Dodgy AI at times.
- Controls always default to keyboard even when using the pad.
- Lackluster end of race screens.
- No commentary or shout outs.
- Lacks trading cards.
- Paint jobs standard is very basic.
- You need to click every item in menus as hovering over them does nothing.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessability - 9/109/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Solid game. I mean the first event you do in the career is destruction derby on a ride on lawnmower in an arena marked out by hay bales! I mean the bar was set and the fun didn’t stop. It absolutely nails the atmosphere for each of the race types from causing destruction in a bowl to proper banger racing. The carnage is so good with tires flying around, Bits of cars all over the track, It just looks and plays so well. When I played this way back in the early early access it was an ok experience but lacked vision or direction. Well, that is nothing to fear anymore as they have stepped up and outdid themselves, This game is a smashing good time!