Review: Tony Hawks Pro Skater HD
A HD remake of the classic PS1 game Tony Hawk Pro Skater hit Xbox arcade this week. Priced at 1200 MS points its quite an expensive nostalgia trip.
- The actual game play mechanic you know and love is still in tact
- Its Tony Hawk!
- The level layout is aswel all intact from the originals
- Online is a solid affair with a few choices such as graffiti,score attack,big head and free skate
- You can use your Xbox avatar as a skater in game
- The original music is in there with a few new tracks which suit the game
- Online leader-board support
- Achievements are varied and don’t require you to 100% each level
- Cheats can be unlocked
- You have career,free skate,score attack and other game types
- The graphics do a good job of making it nice to look at and play
- Hit detection/collision can be really bad, Just touching a wall wrong can catapult you in the air costing valuable seconds
- Cheats disable achievements,scores. Obvious but some people will see it as a bad thing
- Restart points after a crash are hit and miss, It can sometimes put you back in front of wall with no way out or on a jump you cant survive or sometime back to the beginning of the whole level!
- No H-O-R-S-E mode online which is a huge shame
- The map showing you where everything is can be a little hard to read in places
- Level/Career progression is saved to each individual skater so mixing it up with different characters becomes a ball ache to say the least
- They’ve changed the way goal list task completions appear on screen and I for one don’t like it.
- You cant bring up the goals list in game
- You can fall through walls and floors in certain parts
- Some goals do not register properly and require you to keep trying and hoping to get lucky