Valheim Preview (Steam Early Access)
A brutal exploration and survival game for 1-10 players, set in a procedurally-generated purgatory inspired by Viking culture. Battle, build and conquer your way to a saga worthy of Odin’s patronage.
- Decent graphics.
- 1GB download size.
- Controller support.
- Graphics-fullscreen, resolution, v-sync, vegetation quality, particle lights, draw distance, bloom, ssao, sun shafts, motion blur, tessellation, soft particles, depth of field, and chromatic aberration.
- Gui scale slider.
- Character creator-male/female, name, skin tone, hair, beard, hair tone, and blondness.
- Random seed generator for world creation.
- Community server option.
- Survival gameplay.
- PvP damage can be turned on and off in the menu.
- Hugin-bird gives tutorial advice and shows up when needed.
- Night/day cycle.
- Can craft basics in the menu whilst crafting workbenches etc allow more advanced crafting.
- Pick up resources from the floor or kill/destroy things ala Minecraft/Ark.
- Level up stats by doing them so jumping increases that state for example and using weapons increases those.
- Can see enemy health bars.
- Visible to other players can be switched on and off in the menu at any time.
- Death-you drop a portion of items and leave a tombstone behind, you can go and claim it to retrieve items and the tombstone is marked on the map.
- You can get invaded by the animals of the world or the other people.
- Turn pvp on and off at will.
- As you build things you can unlock new recipes.
- Snap together building system.
- Can rotate all pieces of furniture and building.
- Cool explosion animation when killing things.
- Rest-at anytime you can sit down and go into a restful state.
- Food/hunger system.
- Cold-happens a lot at night and decreases your stamina regen. Being cold and wet makes it worse but you can remedy it with fire.
- Lore is dished out via ancient texts, you interact with these stones and it comes up with the original language then translates to English.
- Bed-claim it to make it a spawn point and use it to fast forward night.
- No Steam achievements.
- The controller doesn’t work in all menus.
- New crafting recipes pop up and block part of the screen.
- Boats or namely rafts are an absolute ass to control and even get aboard!
- No way to manipulate the day/night cycle.
- Not as controller friendly as you would like.
- Have to be so precise with the cursor to pick up materials/items.
- The building is a problem with it clashing with geometry constantly.
- Deconstruction of buildings/walls/etc is a pain.
- So much criteria needed for building things like workbench which needs a roof and cannot be exposed.
- Fighting with the controller has no lock on and is very spammy.
This is quite a brief rundown on the current build of Valheim. I needed to just get a starting block put up as the game despite being in early access is massive! With so much to do and so much to discover it’s a game that will require a lot of time to sift through and sift through I will! Valheim is managing to give the genre a fresh break, Ark was one of the best games in this space but that felt aimless whereas here we get more story, lore, and atmosphere. You cannot even begin to imagine how much game is here and how great this really is. If it carries on this way, Valheim is a proper game of the year contender.