Yacht Club Games, the Marina del Rey-based studio behind the hugely popular Shovel Knight franchise, will be unveiling cyber ninja game Cyber Shadow at PAX East this week.
In Cyber Shadow – the newest addition to the Yacht Club Games roster – the world has been taken over by synthetic lifeforms. A desperate plea for help sets Shadow on a journey to uncover what set the world on the path to perpetual ruin. Slash through techno hordes, leap past traps, and nimbly navigate the ruins of Mekacity. Only you can unlock the secrets to your clan’s ancient powers in Cyber Shadow – a quintessential take on the ninja action genre.
|Yacht Club Games reached out to Aarne two years ago about getting involved with Cyber Shadow. Aarne had been developing the game on his own for years with no intention of working with a publisher – but Yacht Club Games was the only team he’d ever consider to help him hone his creation. Aarne described Cyber Shadow to the Shovel Knight creators as an “NES-style game that had the level design principles of Mario, the skills and action of Ninja Gaiden, the enemy designs of Contra, and the dark visual aesthetic of Batman.” What the team played was a brilliantly elevated take on classic ninja action. After 6 years and 5 Shovel Knight games, Yacht Club Games had become associated with authentic 8-bit fun – and the company was confident it could rely on its past experiences and expertise to take Cyber Shadow to the next level. To both studios, Shovel Knight and Cyber Shadowoffer players the trials of NES games … without any of the tribulations!|
Yacht Club Games is handling the marketing, porting, business, and typical roles of a publisher so that Aarne can focus on the core game development. In addition, Yacht Club Games is deeply involved in giving design feedback – imparting some of the lessons learned from the Shovel Knight saga along the way.
- Dash, slice, and leap through masterfully designed levels filled with sharply honed ninja platforming action.
- Authentic 8-bit presentation with handcrafted sprites, a detailed pixel aesthetic, and perfect controls. Modern touches like fluid animation, multi-layered parallax backgrounds, and evolved game design.
- Take down more than a dozen apocalyptic bosses – from enormous war machines to your synthetic clan rivals.
- Relive the authenticity of classic 8-bit challenge or experience it for the first time … with an added convenience or two.
- Rescue your clan to unlock permanent Ninjutsu skills and abilities – combining them seamlessly as only the warrior of legend could.
- Search for secrets as you explore the ruined world. Return to your old haunts to find supplies, items, and upgrades.
- Experience a gripping story – told both in-game and through animated cinematic story scenes between the action. Who can be trusted? How far will Shadow go to protect his clan and the one he loves?
- Pulse-pounding soundtrack by Enrique Martin, produced by Jake Kaufman.
Cyber Shadow’s release date is yet to be determined. At launch, Yacht Club Games will be targeting Steam, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 with a suggested retail price of $14.99.