Defend The Rook Review (Nintendo Switch OLED)
Our Defend The Rook Review welcomes a roguelike tactics board combat combined with tower defense elements. Defeat the invading hordes to stay alive and save the land! Enjoy more tactics than a normal TD game, combined with the added challenge of building towers and fighting off waves of enemies!
Defend The Rook Review Pros:
- Beautiful graphics.
- 1.1GB download size.
- Game settings – one-click attack, multiple spell casting, show hp bars, unit stats always shown, confirm unmoved pieces, skip purchase confirmation, disable camera shake, disable dialogue and barks, hide battle info, and show effects as text.
- Tutorial menu section.
- Full touchscreen controls.
- Can still use the physical buttons for controls.
- Turn-based combat.
- Simple grid system for moving and attacking. Red means attack and blue shows where you can move.
- Easy to learn controls and mechanics.
- Wave-based and in between waves you can earn temporary buffs and abilities.
- Earn EXP and get points to put into stat trees to unlock and improve abilities.
- Highlight an icon for a pop-up text window description.
- Characters will grey out when they have done all their actions.
- Big boss encounters.
- Roguelike element with run-based games.
- Loadout allows you to change outfits and select your spell loadout.
- Traps can be laid down by you and the enemy.
- Gems are earned from runs and are used for permanent upgrades and unlocks.
- World map where you go through a full run to unlock a new area.
- Excellent animations.
Defend The Rook Review Cons:
- Pain to always have to wait after actions.
- No camera controls.
- The screen gets very busy.
- Small text.
- You always feel like you are missing out on some knowledge or trick.
- Slow starter and takes ages to get going.
Related Post: Astral Ascent Preview (Steam Early Access)
Defend The Rook:
Developer: One Up Plus
Publisher: Goblinz Publishing
Store Links –
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
What a beautiful little game, Yes we have seen these types of games before but the atmosphere and general play of the game are so charming. OK so let’s say what it actually is, Defend The Rook is a turn-based game where you need to protect the rook, you can move said Rook and other characters around the board. Everything is turn-based and is usually in wave format. As you go through encounter by the encounter you gain EXP and only bank them when finished, die and you lose them but cash them in and you can get new abilities and state increases. Game overs will reward you with gems that unlock permanent upgrades to stats and more rewards. As I said it’s not sounding all that unique but it’s just the sheer polish and execution along with it being on the Switch with touchscreen controls, it makes it an exciting and fun prospect. The camera is a nightmare and it does take a while to get going but it’s honestly a fun game and one that suits the Nintendo Switch.