Far Cry 6 Review (PC/Uplay Connect)
For our Far Cry 6 Review, we embrace the gritty experience of an improvised modern-day guerrilla and take down a Dictator and his son to free Yara.
Far Cry 6 Review Pros:
- Decent graphics.
- 39.5GB download size.
- Uplay achievements.
- Controller support.
- Graphics – full screen, resolution, display monitor, aspect ratio, graphics preset, texture filtering, shadows, geometry and vegetation, environment, water, terrain, volumetric fog, anti-aliasing, motion blur, camera shake, poisoned and drunk effects, fidelityFX CAS, V-sync, enable framerate lock, framerate lock slider, adaptive resolution, a field of view slider, brightness, contrast, and gamma.
- HD textures. (optional download)
- Controller settings – rebind buttons, lefty mode, one-handed layout, trigger effect function (adaptive triggers), sensitivity sliders and Invert axis, swap sticks, and set the toggles.
- Tobii eye support.
- Corsair RGB light support.
- MSI mystic light support.
- Benchmark test.
- Ubisoft Connect rewards.
- Action-adventure gameplay.
- Free rewards in the Ubisoft Connect app.
- Get free skins from owning other Ubisoft properties.
- Tutorials will pop up as you play.
- Two difficulties – action or story mode. Affects health regen, enemy strength.
- Male or female protagonist choice.
- Subtitles-on/off and size slider.
- Weapons can be customized with mods, skins, and charms.
- Amigos – followers of the animal variety and you can add mods/perks to them along with new clothing options.
- Clear mission markers.
- Improved cover-based shooting complete with peeking and leaning.
- You now pick up items from dead bodies by just walking over them.
- Play how you want.
- On-screen button prompts.
- See enemy health when shooting at them.
- Collect materials from enemies, crates, etc, and use them to craft mods for your weapons and rides.
- Hunt animals and trade for materials.
- Supply drops can be found and stolen.
- Follow road commands for vehicles to make travel easier.
- Main story missions and optional side quests.
- Cool guy slow-mo shots.
- Unlock fast travel points.
- Checkpoints can be a real bitch with traps and enemies but take them over to claim rewards.
- Living breathing world.
- Double agents can be discovered and bribed for cache locations.
- Hitching posts allow you to call a horse and choose which one.
- Holster weapon is a big thing as having your gun out will spook and trigger people.
- Scout areas with your phone camera to tag enemies which reveal any weaknesses.
- Day/night cycle with weather changes.
- Take over areas by completing operations, destroying military supplies, and capturing checkpoints.
- Earn EXP and level up to get new items in the shop and crafting options and occasionally you get gear rewards.
- Loadout – supremo, 3 main guns, sidearm, helmet/head, body, legs, feet, and hands.
- Gear gives buffs and/or passives.
- Cars can be delivered to you and you have a repair tool whilst the trunk refills ammo.
- When in/on a ride you can still use throwables and sidearms.
- Criptograma chests are unique chests that require you to find sigils and find charts to open them.
- High-value targets (HVT) will give you a key to the stash room.
- Hidden Collectibles from USB pens to music to lore and historical information.
- Car – you can upgrade and add cosmetics to your car by doing particular tasks or breaking parts off other vehicles, adding new air fresheners and dashboard accessories.
- Good loading times.
- A beautiful location full of truly amazing scenery.
- The dialogue can be changed based on what you have done.
- Areas of the map will have difficulty levels of how good the enemies are and what weaknesses they do and don’t have.
- Fishing spots can be found and is their own mini-game.
- Full co-op support for both friends and randoms.
- Sets – equip all items in a set to get an overall extra buff or passive.
- Build for the moment – can wear gear to make shooting easier or be more stealthy or just go full-on Crocodile Dundee and kill animals better when hunting.
- To profit from hunting you need to use skill and proper gear otherwise the scraps you get are worth a lot less.
- There is always something to do.
- Supremo is your let’s get mental starter pack. You can buy and earn new ones but it’s basically a special attack that charges over time. You can get ones that have passives like jet jump or new throwables but the main attack is things like gas Bombs or causing a ring of fire or shooting a million missiles.
- Takedown bases with FND caches for high-end loot but also open it up as a fast travel point.
Far Cry 6 Review Cons:
- A low amount of VRAM error pop up that won’t disappear and isn’t actually true.
- Cannot skip the cutscenes.
- Runs choppy on a GTX 970 i5.
- Had instances where enemies won’t spawn meaning I can’t get an item I need like a key for a stash.
- Having Uplay Connect on tanks the framerate and performance.
- Cannot go into 3rd person when riding a horse.
- At times it is hard to make out enemies.
- Crafting is a slow grind.
- A lot of in-app purchases.
- Grabbing ledges feels like a mini-game in itself as it doesn’t always register.
- A lot of dog killing.
- You have to play a couple of hours of the story to unlock Co-op and all additional content and freebies.
- Follow road is not always ideal.
- Steering horses is a right pain.
- Glitch exits out of vehicles causing stupid cheap deaths.
- Picking up materials is a proper pain as you have to be so precise.
Related Post: Nintendo Switch OLED Console Review
Far Cry 6:
Store Links –
Links may contain affiliate links but this will not affect the price you pay in any way.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Having felt that the series has kinda flatlined in recent iterations I opted to skip the last few games. Far Cry 6 looked like it could be a step up and I liked the locations so I gave it a shot this time around. Far Cry 6 to me still plays the same as it did back in Far Cry 3, its the same tried and tested formula except for this time they have clearly taken a lot of inspiration from games like Just Cause adding bigger explosions, Grapple hooks, and more. What I like to do in Far Cry is to lose myself in the world and do what I want and I am happy to report that this is still here, in fact, it’s better than ever with hu ting spots, caches to find, bases to take over, fishing, cave-dwelling and do much more it’s never been more expansive than it is right now. OK so now for some PC-specific issues, I know my GTX 970 is an old card now but it can still hold its own but for this game, it chugged no matter what I did… Until I disabled all Uplay Connect overlays and now I can run it on high with no problem at all. Weird but I’m not alone and before that, it would lag, hang, pop up textures, and generally looked shit. Back to the game and while the story is one we have heard before, it does translate well into the theme and atmosphere of the world, you see guards attacking and capturing civilians, you see people going about their life but under extreme stress. It’s a bad thing to say but it adds a lot to be able to see and feel the pain that this world is enduring. What I like most is the camera phone as I can scan vehicles to unlock them and unlock new customisation options for vehicles like colors and interiors, the phone is also used to tag enemies and find the alarm boxes, it’s just another neat thing to distract me from playing the story. Big supply drops happen and look just like they do in PUBG with flares and lights going off, you can see them from miles off and it’s so satisfying to intercept them. Crafting is a big thing here so collecting materials and hunting animals is encouraged but I did find myself forgetting about the actual crafting part as I swam and swung my way around the place. Far Cry 6 still feels like it has one foot in the past but it does have one foot forward and makes many nice and most importantly needed steps forward. I am looking forward to the DLC as that promises even more in terms of going forward. I say Far Cry 6 is a refined version of the game with neat little additions, it’s not groundbreaking but it’s not stuck in the past and is honestly worth a play. This isn’t Far Cry, this is Far Cry 6 Just Cause edition.