Hands On With Door Kickers
Door Kickers is an innovative realtime strategy game that puts you in charge of a SWAT team and lets you command them during a tactical intervention. Analyze the situation, plan team routes, choose equipment and breach points and coordinate multiple troopers to reach the hostage room before the bad guys get to press that trigger.
- Big chunky graphics that are basic in look but up close, Have a high level of detail.
- Good soundtrack with some brilliant realistic sound effects. The voice in game shouting out orders is both firm and authoritative.
- The game is very much like Frozen Synapse meets X-Com with a bit of Rainbow Six thrown in for good measure.
- Simple easy controls, You can play the game using just a mouse.
- Handy tutorial at the beginning explaining the basics of the game, This is achieved by the aid of images and text.
- Missions are scored on a 3 star system and have several factors such as time taken, Enemies killed and hostages saved. The criteria can change depending on the scenario.
- The final kill is greeted with a slow mo capture of the event. Sound and video slows right down as the bad guy hits the floor.
- You can switch between planning and action phases at will. The planning phase is where you can evaluate the scenario and plan and place your team. Action mode is where the planning instructions are acted out. You can choose to play the game is just action mode, Turning the game into a quick fire game. Reflexes will be tested and in theory the game plays a lot like Alien Breed in that sense, Very retro in approach but still as effective.
- Cool gadgets are available that can aid you in bothe phases, Use a keyhole camera to see whos on the other side, Throw flashbangs to immobilize enemies. Even opening a door has many options. Choose to either open it, kick it down, blow it up or breach and clear.
- You have no restrictions on the way you tackle the levels. Each level has a brief description of your goals.
- Quick loading times lend itself well to a pick up and play mentality.
- New maps are constantly been added so even at this early stage, You will always have something to do.
- Playing a level time wise, Can range from just a few seconds to a few minutes.
- Levels are basically huge puzzles and mazes that you must navigate. Hostage missions ramp up the difficulty no end and are really fun to play.
- Level completion satisfaction is high with this game.
- Lacks the pin point precision of Frozen Synapse, Going for a more casual approach to placement and behavior.
- Needs more game modes and especially multiplayer, Even if they copied the Frozen Synapse approach of playing via a turn system.
- Enemy placement in some levels can make the game feel impossible and have you rage quitting in no time. Had an instance where a bad guy was stuck in a car and couldnt be killed.
- More customisation options like team loadout and indeed overall appearance.
- Better tutorial with a more hands on approach.
In Summary, For how early in the development process that Door Kickers is in, The current signs are very good. A lot of the bad points I highlighted are scheduled to be added and the game can only grow from where it is. The developers are constantly asking for feedback and tweaking the game to players needs. And I must say that despite me saying Frozen Synapse a lot, The game does play very differently and does deserve its own place within the genre. With the planned additions, You can expect a really good game that can can only get better. I f we get a editor or Steam Workshop integration, The sky is the limit.