Hands On With The Closed Beta Of Defiance 2050
Become an Ark Hunter in a massive cooperative online shooter like no other. Choose from an array of fully customizable weapons and classes, explore a unique futuristic open world, and engage in epic fast-paced third-person shooter combat. We got to go hands-on with the PC and PlayStation 4 closed beta, We will give short opinions on each version.
- Graphics are a lot sharper and improved this time around.
- Male/female models.
- Deep character creator with things like hairstyle, eye types, colors of all things, hair, eyes etc. You can add tattoos on various parts of your body including your face.
- Opening tutorial taking in a lot of aspects of the game.
- Uses your actual character in cutscenes.
- Cutscenes are in the engine.
- PC version supported both keyboard mouse and a controller.
- A healthy collection of graphics options on PC with quality sliders for the lazy.
- Solid gunplay. The guns feel really good to shoot and each one feels different.
- EXP bar down the bottom of the screen.
- Damage numbers pop up as you shoot away.
- Unlock fast travel points.
- Loot drops on a colored rarity system like in the previous game and Diablo games.
- Earn EXP and level up to unlock new perks and abilities.
- Deep character customization- You can choose two weapons, Abilities, shields, grenades etc.
- Can spawn a vehicle whenever you like.
- Runs smooth and ran better on the PlayStation 4 most of the time.
- Public events spawn where you can just meet up and take on huge bosses or events.
- Ammo boxes everywhere.
- Story cutscenes of high quality with decent voice acting.
- Cameo appearances of the characters from the TV show.
- Massive world taking in many different biomes and atmospheres.
- Many enemy types from fast and weak to heavy-duty mothers.
- Friends list all though I couldn’t test it out fully.
- Only assault class available.
- Some ugly textures do appear.
- Vehicle handling is over sensitive.
- Some dodgy AI behavior from shooting through walls to shooting before even seeing you.
- AI pathfinding is broken in some missions.
- POP in is a huge thing in the game.
- Not all actions are mapped to the pad on the PC.
- PlayStation 4 version glitched out on the tutorial and got stuck in a constant loop where it wouldn’t spawn the enemies so I couldn’t finish the tutorial. I had to wipe my character and start again.
- No button prompts for the controller.
- Lag ruins the whole experience.
I played and loved the game when it first came out, Actually having a save on all versions of the game. I watched the TV show and really liked how we would get themed missions from the show in the game. Hearing its coming back was such a surprise but a welcome one. Now let’s get to the nitty-gritty. This game is the same game as before bar a few differences like the crossover and the graphics are better etc. So playing the beta meant playing the game from the start again. This bummed me out a bit at the thought of going back to the game is one thing but doing it after seeing so many hours is just demoralizing.
That said I pushed on really enjoyed being back in the world, I opted to avoid a fair chunk of story stuff and just explored the world, Joined randoms in some public events and even did some impromptu racing. Its got issues especially on PC with PlayStation feeling better overall But it is still the same great game that is worth any gamers time. I await further playtime before release but I am optimistic following these sessions.