HellBreachers Review (PlayStation 5)
A journey to hell and back! Hellbreachers is a retro-styled action-platformer with an RPG character progression system. Choose one of three heroes and then one of ten specializations, progress through spectacular locations, and take on challenging bosses!
- Decent pixel art graphics.
- 112.8MB download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Platformer gameplay.
- 10 districts with a handful of levels within each.
- Big boss fights.
- Two difficulties-little adventure and heroical deed.
- 3 characters-Knight, Magician, and Assassin. Each has a choice of 3 subclasses.
- Opening tutorial level.
- Chests-find keys to open them and earn special attack uses.
- Coins and gems to collect.
- End of level breakdown shows jewels collected in level and your total score.
- Very easy Platinum trophy and it doesn’t require you to play all the levels.
- Can replay levels.
- Cutesy game World with nice backdrops.
- A handful of enemy types.
- You cannot jump between characters to try them out or change them up.
- Only one save and it’s tied to the current character.
- Hitting an enemy then puts them in a flashing invincible state for a few seconds.
- You can just double jump over the platforms and finish levels in seconds.
- No chest drop animations.
- All loot is pointless and just for a score that means nothing.
- No leaderboards.
- No replay value.
- Levels all start feeling the same.
- Animations of characters are over-animated making it hard to judge jumps.
- Very basic platformer.
- Bosses can be beaten easily just by standing next to them and spamming your specials.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 6/106/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 5/105/10
- Fun Factor - 6/106/10
HellBreachers says it’s an adventure game and the name almost implies it’s like an RPG, thing is this couldn’t be further from the truth. HellBreachers is just a plain platformer with basic combat. In fact, you can jump over the enemies and many of the obstacles and finish levels in seconds. You can collect gems and coins but it’s for points and unlike game shows, points don’t win prizes here, points are nothing and mean nothing! Combat, as said, is a basic hack and slash with 2 special moves that require power to use, you get uses from the nonexistent chest loot and these will dominate the boss quickly. To be honest, it’s not that fun, it’s not painful or anything it’s just so plain that it’s no fun or not even that engaging, and the only takeaway is the fact that you can have a Platinum trophy in minutes. HellBreachers is just a plain boring platformer with an easy as hell Platinum trophy.