Jetboard Joust-Next Generation Retro Review (Steam)
Fast & fluid arcade-style SHMUP meets hardcore modern roguelike! Take flight on a lethal, pimped-up jetboard, darting through the skies and blasting alien invaders with an explosive arsenal of extreme weaponry. Face off against massive, multi-stage bosses. An arcade classic for the next generation!
- Beautiful pixel art graphics.
- 146mb download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Controller support.
- A modern take on the classic game Defender.
- Two control schemes-old school and new fangled.
- Can rebind controls.
- Online leaderboards.
- Own in-game achievements.
- Instructions-how to play text and images.
- Five save slots.
- Collect coins and diamonds to use in between rounds to upgrade/ buy weapons or use cash as a way to continue after a game over.
- Treasure room-unlocks after you clear the level of enemies and triggers a randomized fight, beat it to get a key, and descend into the treasure room for rewards.
- Every run is randomized.
- Death-drop everything and game over but you can have your dropped cash show up next run.
- Activate warp gated to travel levels faster.
- Roguelike gameplay.
- Minimap shows at the top of the screen.
- A lot of cool pixellated flashes and bangs.
- On-screen notifications and icons to help find loot and people.
- Gameplay-aliens will attempt to grab people and take them to the top of the screen that turns them into huge aliens, you need to stop them.
- Very easy to get into.
- Combo counter.
- Route-every level you beat will pop up a map whereby you choose your next destination.
- Bullet hell elements.
- Weapons will deteriorate over time and disappear.
- Find pickups for ammo, shield replenish, and health.
- Clear easy to read Hud.
- Really good soundtrack.
- Fast frantic shooter.
- Feels really polished and solid.
- Satisfying combat.
- Boost-makes you invincible for a short time and can kill enemies by passing through them.
- The slight learning curve with the controls as it’s quite sensitive.
- A lot to initially take in regards to pickups and gun types.
- No graphics settings.
- Hard to see where you are when in the thick of it.
- RNG can be good or bad… No shit.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Jetboard Joust is a game that takes the classic game Defenders where you have to protect people from being abducted by aliens and gives it a modern twist. Jetboard Joust combines elements such as Roguelike, bullet hell, and boss fights. What lands up happening is you get a solid addictive game that not only looks brilliant but plays so well. I instantly fell in love with how the game plays, I looked forward to finishing a level every time as I opened the treasure room to see what new gun I had (side note, the gravity hammer is the best weapon I have ever used I a video game bar none) the visuals played a key part to the addiction thanks to the way enemies explode, the bullets pop up and just how God dam beautiful it all was. Don’t worry if you have never heard of Defender or never played it it doesn’t matter, anyone can play this game and all players will get addicted. Jetboard Joust is one of the best shmups this year!