Mean-While Review (Steam)
Two rivaling megalomaniacs are forced to work together in hopes to survive each other’s fortresses. Join Skeleman, and his rival, Dr. Dangerous, in the thrilling comedic adventure title: Meanwhile.
- Pixel art graphics.
- Download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Controller support.
- Action-platformer gameplay.
- Gimmick-you play as two different characters on two different levels and can hotswap between them, each time you do it says “meanwhile”.
- Tutorial messages and conversations pop as you play the game.
- Catchy Chiptune like soundtrack.
- Camera-you can zoom in, have it at the usual distance or have it zoomed out where you can see huge chunks of the level.
- Savepoints/respawn points in-game that also heal you as you have a 3 hit then die system.
- Big boss fights.
- Slight puzzle elements.
- Nice idea.
- Cool looking levels.
- Speedrunner mode.
- No replay value.
- Has a lot of bosses and begins to feel more like a boss rush than anything.
- No graphic settings.
- Can’t always skip dialogue.
- Speedrunner mode has an annoying intro section.
- No leaderboards.
- Small health pools making boss fights feel a bit cheaper than usual.
- Hearing the “meanwhile” sound bite does begin to irritate.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
Meanwhile is a game that sounds simple enough, it’s an action platformer with a retro appearance and Chiptune soundtrack. The Gimmick being you are in control of two very different characters and can hotswap between them at any point. Each character has different attacks and abilities and are in their own levels but talk and help each other through dialogue. Meanwhile is the name of the game but also and more importantly the phrase that you hear when swapping characters. Levels are well designed, take a while to get going but it gets there and the zoom function really does let you play the game how you want. Overall I found Meanwhile to be a fun twist on action platforming and has a really catchy soundtrack.