Metaloid Origin Review (PlayStation 4)
This Metaloid Origin Review shows a fast-paced gun n run 2D platformer. Take on the role of one out of three android warriors known as “Predator” and dash through 9 different levels in order to save their planet from a robot army led by Lucian Corp, who invade their planet and exploit the planetary resources to fuel their galactic war efforts.
Metaloid Origin Review Pros:
- Decent pixel art graphics.
- 340.1MB download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Works on Playstation 5.
- Ten save slots.
- Action-platformer gameplay.
- Three characters – Erika, Zeta, and Neva.
- Two difficulties – normal and hard.
- Five stages -Meta forest, Toxin swamp, Captured armory, Desolation desert, Volcanic mine, and Northern base.
- Has a 16 Bit atmosphere to it all.
- Beautiful locations and animated backdrops.
- Excellent soundtrack.
- Can rebind controls.
- Run and gun combat.
- Tutorial terminals that pop up text.
- Diamonds are used as currency for upgrades.
- Origin level unlocks the new abilities and is earned for beating bosses.
- Health bar that has three stages – green to yellow to red so you can take a lot.
- Health packs and battery packs can be found and dropped from enemies.
- Battery – regens automatically and is used to power up your special abilities.
- Levels are big enough that you can have a little explore.
- Plays on a screen-by-screen basis allowing you to go back and forth to respawn diamonds and enemies.
- Can easily farm diamonds.
- Death – you pay 50 credits to continue back at the start of the screen.
Metaloid Origin Review Cons:
- Doesn’t give any info on the different characters and their abilities and attacks.
- Can only shoot left and right.
- Levels can get so big with many exits and entrances that you become lost.
- Hard to judge jumps.
- A lot of narrow pixel-perfect jump sections.
- Boss battles are tedious.
- Slow to buy upgrades.
- Feels repetitive.
Related Post: Secret Agent HD Review (Steam)
Developer: 7 Raven Studios, RetroRevolution
Store Links –
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
Metaloid Origin is a run and gun style platformer using a 16 Bit graphic style. It all looks really nice from animated backgrounds too bright vivid colors, the controls are pretty simple and it all plays just fine. The levels have a bit of exploration to them but it’s kind of redundant as Metaloid Origin plays on a screen-by-screen basis so you can easily farm currency by going backward and forwards as it respawns everything every time. Initially, all you can do is run, gun, jump and use a speed boost slide to increase your jump height. As time progresses you beat bosses to rank up your origin level which in turn unlocks new abilities that you can buy with currency at any time. New abilities do make it all a bit easier and add the much-needed variety the game craves, the thing is though it’s still not enough as the nostalgic graphic style and controls only go so far before it feels a bit stale and repetitive, with annoying boss battles it can cause unneeded frustration. Metaloid Origin is a fun game at first that loses its appeal the more you play.