Preview: H1Z1: Battle Royale (PlayStation 4)
H1Z1: Battle Royale is a pure, fast-paced battle royale shooter re-imagined and built for the console. Drop into a massive map in search of weapons, ammo, vehicles, and air drops to get a leg up on the competition and be the last one standing.
- Nice enough graphics.
- 10.98GB Download size.
- Battle Royale gameplay.
- Practice area with respawns.
- Three modes- Solo, Duos, and fives.
- Free PS Plus pack.
- Uses DS4 touchpad.
- Earn EXP overall, Level up to earn random gear and/or chests.
- Challenges- Earn Skull coins for doing them. Every 24 hours you can exchange a challenge for a random new one. Completed challenges renew the next day.
- Customise character- Skins for guns, vehicles, and gear.
- A handful of preset character models Can change anytime.
- Guns all handle differently.
- Minimap with waypoint trail to help navigation.
- Settings- Invert axis, Sprint toggle, Sensitivity sliders, Compass, Names, map names, change reticule colors for each like hit/shots etc.
- Crates- Different types and can be bought or earned or exchanged with Skull coins.
- In-app purchases.
- Full emote system you have access to around a dozen.
- Really quick to find games.
- Mute button in the options but you can also quickly mute in-game.
- Fun to play.
- Tense atmosphere.
- Very bright colorful experience.
- Cool map with many different terrain types, Towns, campsites etc.
- Compass- Easy to read and shows some key icons like cars.
- Minimal HUD.
- Can create a party from the menu with the invite system.
- Easy to see team members as they have a colored outline that can be seen from great distances and through walls.
- Loot has a purpose- Bigger bag allows you to carry more or boots let you move faster.
- Loot like helmets and vests show on the HUD for their individual health.
- Runs really well.
- Spectator mode.
- Button prompts for opening doors, opening crates or picking up loot.
- Vehicles! You can also click on it and get in from any angle.
- Satisfying feedback on shots.
- Vehicles also have their own health bar and fuel.
- Crate drops happen periodically and have glowing beams coming from them to make it easier. Thing is the loot inside gets better as the match goes on.
- Server issues.
- Fiddly controls.
- Cannot customize controls.
- ADS fills too much of the screen and is the only option to fire outside of hip fire.
- No trophies.
- Frequent loading screens.
- In-app purchases.
- Some really small text.
- No auto royale.
- Cannot mark the map.
- No melee or bare-fisted attacks.
- Busy map with a lot of icons.
- Camera when in a passenger seat is way too close and hard to not only see but also shoot.
- Loot explodes everywhere when looting a body.
- Only 3rd person view.
- No spectator options like change who to watch.
- Emote is slow and clumsy.
Ok so it had a really rough start, People unable to connect for hours, Constant disconnects and dropouts, But it seems to all be fixed now. Right well for me this is the BR game to play at the moment, It has the goofiness of Fortnite with its whacky weapon skins and physics but has the tactical elegance of PUBG. It just fits in the genre and still offers something different. For me, the performance of the game is what really clinched it for me as it just looks and plays really really well. So much fun can be had whether you are with friends or playing alone. I did fear I would hate it after so much fortnite but I love the progress as Ironically it is the same type of affair as the battle pass but anyway it is nice to actually be earning stuff. The guns feel really good and the map is just a fun place to be. I am not a fan of all the sirens and sometimes dodgy hit detection but overall I am so happy I gave it a chance and for a Beta is in excellent health.