Preview: Project Winter (Steam Early Access)
The perfect game to back-stab your friends. Project Winter is an 8 person multiplayer game focusing on social deception and survival. Communication and teamwork is essential to the survivors’ ultimate goal of escape. Gather resources, repair structures, and brave the wilderness together.
- Beautiful papercraft looking graphics.
- 2156mb download size.
- Graphics-resolution, display mode, v-sync, fps limit, graphics presets, AA, texture/shadow/particles quality, post-processing, soft particles, and anisotropic filtering.
- Opening game guide.
- Tutorial video.
- Controller support.
- Game plays-survivors try to escape and traitors try to stop them.
- Character customization.
- 5 player roles-Helper, Survivalist, Prospector, Explorer, and Traitor.
- Two teams-survivors and traitors.
- Missions will appear as you play.
- Chat- text, emote, proximity and RADIO. (radios are colored and you can only speak with the person with the same color as you.)
- Hunger and warmth are mechanics in the game.
- Cabin- kind of like a safe house and here you can vote and exile players out.
- Cooking/crafting tables.
- Traitors get stronger over time, they get airdrop of loot when survivors fail a mission, you can sabotage.
- Survivors have to fix buildings in order to escape.
- Steam achievements.
- Unlock specific items by completing set goals with a certain player/role.
- 4 types of loot boxes. They have different themed items.
- Earn currency in game to buy loot boxes.
- Lobbies are split across regions.
- No playable tutorial.
- Low player count.
- IAP feel out of place.
- Long initial load.
- Can’t join a game in progress even if there is space.
Project Winter is in early access, despite this status the game looks and plays really well, it takes the popular genres of survival and sabotage and marries them in a game of pure evil. Problem is no fucker is playing the game! I got only a handful of matches and that was connecting to Asia and Japan servers. As is the way atm the market is full of great ideas but lacks the players. Could be word of mouth failing or the fact no one can find it? Who knows but project Winter is a really fun game and one that could be something but with little players and no bot support, the game is stagnant.