Project Starship X Review (PlayStation 4)
The Rogue-Lite shooter where you CRASH-KILL comical abominations! Pilot your spaceship as Swagthulhu in this original and wacky “Lovecraftian Parody”!
- Excellent pixel art graphics.
- 505.1MB download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Works on Playstation 5.
- Shmup gameplay.
- Tutorial-text based.
- Online leaderboards.
- Bouncy hypnotic Chiptune soundtrack.
- Video settings- night filter and TV effects.
- Two-player local co-op mode.
- Two initial characters-Garret (tank-like with set stats) and Gwen (agile but gets random stats every run). Unlock two new characters.
- Hud shows an animated profile pic of your character and changes as you take damage, lives, and if X maneuver is available.
- Big boss battles.
- X maneuver-allows you to pass through projectiles and obstacles unscathed. Works on a cooldown system.
- Roguelike in the way it generates a new route every game.
- You move slowly when shooting.
- A lot of story and humor thrown at you.
- Combo counter
- Really good flashy pop-ups of characters and pickups.
- Shields can be restored with pickups.
- Puts a spin on the genre by mixing it up with a rolling platform styled jumping game with Shmup mechanics.
- Coins drop and appear in levels.
- Shop-buy power-ups and shields from the shop that will randomly appear.
- Levels can have unique features like the sun will kill you but can also drag you sideways or you can drop into a bigger ship and use it.
- Decent loading times.
- Dash points that can be used without using up your X maneuver.
- A lot of bullet hell elements.
- Levels can have multiple routes on screen.
- Satisfying shooter.
- Hypnotic and addictive.
- Easy Platinum if a bit time-consuming.
- No way to tone down a lot of the flashy effects overall as the one available is not that specific.
- Only one control layout.
- Levels repeat themselves a lot.
- A lot to take in.
- Having just text for tutorials doesn’t work that well in a game like this.
- Slight learning curve.
- You slow down when shooting.
- Only one game mode.
- No difficulties.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
A casual roguelike Shmup, Starship Project X is a game that is rough at first with its massive seizure warning, lack of working tutorial, and a lot of features to take in. Basically, I’m saying it’s a tough ask at the beginning, it gets better and does get fun but you have to put the time in and learn as you die. Now for some positives, the game has a cool run like structure with random tilesets being used along with random bosses. You collect power-ups and coins and dash and shoot your way through the game. It does have a flashy in your face appearance and it is a visual assault but it kind of adds to the general aesthetic. It’s a game I enjoy playing when I am there but when I’m not it’s hard to muster up the energy for it. Overall Project Series Xis a nice casual shooter with some cool features and additions to the genre.