Review: Aces of the Luftwaffe – Squadron (PlayStation 4)
The Aces of the Luftwaffe have returned! Dodge a hail of bullets and face their fearsome war machines in bombastic air battles and boss fights.
- Nice cartoon graphics.
- 3.65GB Download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Options- Buffbar, Health showing and UI scaling.
- Shmup gameplay.
- World War 2 theme.
- Three difficulties- Normal, Hard and extreme.
- Medals- Drop randomly from enemies, Acts like EXP and is used to buy new skills.
- Bright colorful levels with great locations.
- Animated backdrops.
- You play as a leader of a squadron, They will follow and shoot as you do.
- Powerups drop from enemies and grant a random powerup.
- Combo counter.
- Can skip cutscenes.
- Four pilots total with each one having their own skill tree.
- Skill tree- Unlock things like attack faster, More health, Take more damage etc.
- Cool hit markers- When you take damage bullet holes to appear on the game screen.
- Arcade atmosphere.
- Short bite-sized levels.
- Side missions which are kind of optional.
- Each level has a bonus skill point to find.
- Fast loading times.
- Wingmen can get ailments like poisoning where you need to avoid them or they start acting irrationally. It is a great way to mix the game up.
- Bullet hell aspects.
- Boss battles.
- Five chapters with five levels within.
- Airplanes- You can get them to drop from boss fights, They have rarity type and you can assign new planes to any pilot.
- Full stats screen.
- Four player co-op support.
- All airplanes have unique stats.
- Trophy section shows progress.
- Can replay a level.
- Easy to get into.
- Simple controls thanks to on-screen button icons.
- The extreme difficulty has to be unlocked.
- Poor voice acting.
- Small boss fight area.
- Doesn’t explain everything.
- Can be hard to distinguish between you and the enemies.
- Pure RNG issues with power up choices.
- Not a game you play in long stints.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
Do not let the cutesy graphics put you off, For this game really brings the goods. Playing the initial few levels felt ok, Nothing special just a standard basic SHMUP, Then you finish the first world and all of a sudden you get upgrade trees, Ability to mix pilots up, Earn planes and it starts to feel like a home base with RPG elements, Granted it is RPG lite but still it has a lot of progressions and unlocks. Gameplay starts ramping up and soon becomes more of a bullet hell, Boss fights are a huge deal and powerups are clever and fun. Downsides are the area you fight bosses in are very small, RNG is the true enemy as it dictates how well you will do on a level. I can easily let that al;l go as the game really surprised me with all the options and replayability it has. In short, Looks basic but is deep and rewarding and worth a shot.