Review: AIPD – Artificial Intelligence Police Department (Steam)
Enter the AI universe and fight evil AIs with a variety of weapons and modifications. AIPD is a top-down coop twin-stick shooter where you can enjoy thousands of possible combinations of enemy and arena permutations that give you an unprecedented and nearly unlimited arcade experience.
- Bright vibrant graphics with a Geometry Wars feel to it.
- Full controller support.
- Video options: AA, Texture quality, Effects and post process quality. Low, Medium, High and blazing graphic preset options.
- Twin stick shooter gameplay. Wave based shooter with pick ups.
- 1-4 local play multiplayer.
- Tutorial is a how to play set of screens.
- Four difficulties: Easy, Medium, hard and b;aging.
- Steam Achievements.
- Small download size. 155MB.
- Solid handling.
- Controls are easy enough. Move with the left stick, Aim with the right and shoot with the right trigger.
- Four game modes:
- Tough transporters: Big ships start fully upgraded making them a lot tougher.
- Hostile space: All elemental dangers are active.
- Standard: Level playing field, Enemies level up as you do and add elemental dangers in slowly. At the end of each wave you can pick one of two modifiers for the next wave.
- High tech armada: All enemy types start fully upgraded.
- Waves contain a handful of levels within each.
- End of wave modifiers are plentiful and change it up alot. For example you can have it where there is more elemental damage, ships get better armour or weapons.
- Good selection of enemies from little ships to huge hunters that dominate the screen.
- Customise your ship. You can unlock new guns, bombs and armour. You unlock them by hitting certain score thresholds.
- Full online leaderboard support.
- You can actually make your own game modes by selecting modifiers. You have three save slots for your creations.
- Lifetime score will show on every players profile in game.
- Best played in multiplayer.
- Enemies drop multipliers for your score. Omega bomb drops happen and are timed. If you don’t get to it in time then it’s a bad situation, Collect it however and you get a huge score bonus.
- Fast loading times.
- Loads of replay ability.
- Guns have a cool down which on the the whole feels pretty redundant.
- Gameplay never changes that much.
- All game modes feel the same.
- No endless mode.
- The wave breaks in modes really break the immersion.
- Single player is very limited especially in regards to longevity and replay ability.
- No online play.
- Unlock all guns way to easy.