Review: Arma Tactics
Arma Tactics is a turn-based close-combat strategy game, where you take control of a four-member Special Forces team. There are no given strategies, rails to move on, or paths to follow; it‘s up to you to decide how you will play through both the story-driven missions and generated missions with randomized objectives.
- Graphics whilst basic by today’s standard on PC, They do have detail and a certain charm to them.
- Full 360 game pad support.
- Two token move system, Very much the same as X com in terms of you can move and shoot or shoot and move.
- Takes a lot of what X com did right in terms of movement,general gameplay and the ability to heal team mates within a 5 turn limit.
- Change your teams load out before a mission and unlock new equipment.
- Veteran players of the genre will like the randomise order of the missions allowing you to keep the game fresh and different.
- Expansive cover all the basics tutorial for you to get to grips with the game.
- Varied mission location with some great level design and visual back drops.
- Graphics can look a bit old and tired in places, Character models have a few glitchy looking movements.
- For every good level there will be bad level design choices. Debris or buildings will hinder your view and when your looking to take a precise shot, This aint cool man.
- Basic audio/video options available to you.
- Cut scenes whilst quite low standard, The one bug bear is the character mouths dont move or if they do its totally out of sync.
- Suffers from the whole “missed” shot from close range syndrome.
In summary, The game feels a bit rushed, A bit too similar to X com in a lot of ways. Using the Arma brand, you feel they could of put a lot of cool new features in and made the game their own. It feels a bit like a port of the mobile version in a certain way. Fun can be had with the game and a lot of the bad points can be overlooked. It has depth and it does try to give you more. Its a middle of the road type game where some will love it and some will hate it. I enjoyed it in short bursts and will continue to do so. With later missions taking anywhere up to 45 mins to complete, My time can become strained. If you need more X com style fun then this game will suit you fine for the short term.