Review: Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (Steam)
The ultra-refined 2D side-scrolling action you remember from “Azure Striker Gunvolt” is recharged and better than ever! In Gunvolt 2, series anti-hero Copen joins the fray as a playable character! Copy abilities from defeated boss characters and use them as your own!
- Decent retro graphics.
- 1366mb Download size.
- Full controller support.
- Steam achievements.
- Can fully rebind the controller and keyboard.
- 2D action platformer gameplay.
- 3 modes- Story, score attack, and speed run.
- Four save slots.
- Two characters to choose from-each plays completely different from specials to lock on effects.
- Challenges-own in-game feats and rewards.
- How to play section.
- Loadout-EX weapons/programming/skills.
- Save when you want.
- Level select.
- Can replay levels.
- Mega man influenced the game structure.
- Difficulty modifiers per level and determine how/when you lose kudos (credits).
- Japanese voice work.
- Earn EXP and level up.
- Combo counter.
- Solid action platformer.
- Big boss encounters.
- Awesome animations.
- Constant difficulty spikes especially with bosses.
- The controller rebind on the main screen means adjusting and clarifying every part of the controller.
- Graphics can look a bit blocky and blurry in places.
- The tutorial is basic.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Like so many remasters and ports, it gives players who may have missed a game the first time around, another shot at the game. That is very much the case for me here. I have played games in the series but not this particular title, I instantly felt comfortable with the controls as they are by default easy to learn and familiar. If by chance they are not then it has an in-depth tweak every button configuration setting. The gameplay is as you would expect, a blend of platforming and shooty shooty action. It’s a fast-paced trial and error learn as you go affair so expect the game to kick your ass, the colors are bright and colorful meaning its a feast for the eyes. Boss battles are as insane as they are difficult but are so satisfying! I just love the whole arcade approach like enemies blowing up and dropping pickups, explosions, and combo counters going off. You collect kudos and have to bank them at particular points so the risk-reward survival gene kicks in. It’s a game that just feels and plays really well and is a fine representation of a port. It includes all DLC previously released. You have two characters to play as and can choose who to play as on a level by level basis, both play completely different and will have you approaching combat and level surfing in unique ways. It’s a game that just emits joy and frustration in equal measures and they have done a good job with the port. A must-play action platformer.