Review: Battle Princess Madelyn (Steam)
You’re the princess! Battle Princess Madelyn to be precise, in this pixel perfect retro side-scroller, as you set off to defeat evil with your ghostly canine companion, Fritzy. Do you have what it takes to save your family, avenge your furry friend and become the ultimate battle princess?
- Classic 16-bit graphics.
- Controller support.
- Options- = Scanlines-on/off and Soundtrack-Arcade or Orchestral.
- Two modes-Story and arcade.
- Steam achievements.
- 637MB Download size.
- Nails the retro atmosphere.
- Has strong links to Super Ghouls and Ghosts.
- Action platformer gameplay.
- 10 levels with five stages
- Hidden collectibles.
- Cartoon cutscenes.
- Multiple routes and secret areas to find.
- Boss battles.
- Cool animations.
- Cannot rebind keys.
- Never sure when you hit a checkpoint.
- UI is very bare.
- Anything involving angles is bad. Hitting enemies is nigh on impossible.
- Basic graphics options.
- Annoying knockback mechanic. Get hit and get knocked way back and on tight platforming is instant death.
- Possible to miss aspects because of the level/story design.
- Text can be hard to read a lot of the time.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Battle Princess Madelyn is a love letter to the Ghost and Goblins games and is basically a more fleshed out version of said games. It maintains the difficulty associated with the games and builds on it with weapons and upgrades, Big levels etc. It is nice on the eye and plays well, The soundtrack has a lot of love in it and compliments the game well. I had a mixed time with the game however, I hated the stop-start begininng, The story never felt like it hit home, The knockback from enemies made simple challenges a pain in the ass, Arcade mode is more aimed at hardcore players but to be honest it strips just enough out of the story mode that its a better more streamlined experience. At the end of the day, it pulled at my nostalgia strings and I had a good few solid hours with it but I just didn’t get excited to go back or try new things.