Review: Blazing Chrome (PlayStation 4)
n Blazing Chrome, bring your best pal and kick some metal butts to free the humankind while enjoying a classic run’n’gun, fully loaded with action and exciting fights!
- Powerful 16bit graphics.
- 147.1mb download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Side-scrolling shooter gameplay.
- Contra hard corps influence throughout.
- Can rebind controls.
- Speed run mode on/off.
- Screen filter-none, CRT A, CRT B, and 5XBR.
- Online leaderboards.
- Boss fights a plenty from the end of level encounters to mid-level fights.
- Punchy adrenaline-filled soundtrack.
- 2 player local co-op support.
- In-game cutscenes.
- World map level select.
- 3 difficulties-easy, normal and hardcore. These dictate lives, continues and power ups.
- How to play tutorial video.
- Four characters to unlock.
- Actions-jump, roll, stationary shooting, shooting, vehicles, and mechs.
- Capsules-give defensive or attack buffs like a shield or self firing bot.
- Collect weapons in-game, you can hold a handful of them and hotswap between them.
- Analog and d-pad support.
- Arcade experience.
- Death-restart at the checkpoint and lose your equipped weapon unless its the starter gun.
- Modern feeling retro game.
- Choose which level to play.
- Have to unlock hardcore.
- A lot of bosses.
- Never sure you hit a checkpoint.
- Few hit detection woes.
- Only one save slot.
- No online Co-op.
- Characters are just that, no weapons unique to that player like in Contra Hard corps.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibility - 9/109/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
For too long gamers wanted a new Contra or even just something Contra, and like buses we go for years with nothing then a whole army comes all at once. Not content with the remastered Contra collection, we also get a fan-made revamp of the classic Contra Hard Corps. I mean it plays like it, looks like it and sounds like it but it nails it so much so that it still feels new. You could say it’s a blatant rip-off but that is unfair as it comes across as a love letter than a rip-off, it plays like the original like I say but it keeps it new fresh and fun as hell to play. With leaderboards and Co-op play it’s a game that keeps on giving. Plus and most importantly it is balls hard and will frustrate and delight any gamer.