Review: Bombing Bastards On Wii U
Have a blast! Bomb oodles of nasty critters in a series of 30 wicked mazes! Defeat hellish bosses in heroic fights! Play solo, or up to 5 players in merciless battles! Embark on a hilarious journey with the witty Dr. Wallow to conquer the galaxy in this explosively fun arcade game!
- Brilliant chunky HD cartoon graphics.
- Bomberman clone. For the uneducated or the ones out there too young! Its a game in which players are in a maze and must drop bombs and blow up crates/boxes collect power ups and blow up the other players.
- Story mode has 5 different environments to unlock, Each world has five levels and a boss battle at the end.
- Battle mode (more arcade mode) is where you pick AI players,difficulty, change the rules and upto 5 players can play local multiplayer.
- Loads of powerups are in the game, from increased explosion range to pick up bombs, push bombs through blocks and many many more.
- Off screen play. In reality the game screen is mirrored onto the game pad as opposed to pressing the minus button.
- Different environments have unique environmental effects like wind blowing everything to the left for example.
- The soundtrack is classical music with a up beat remix.
- Use the d pad or analogue stick.
- Touch screen can be used on menu selection screens.
- If you die in battle mode, you will re spawn on the side of the maze in a tank, Here you can try and blow up the remaining players. Dropping a bomb on a players head will daze them and momentarily stun them.
- Three star reward system is in use for story mode and is based off time taken. Every story level has a five minute timer.
- Opening tutorial section.
- Voice acting is good and can be turned off in the menu.
- Helpful pop ups and hints throughout the game.
- Options allow you to mess with the audio settings, voice overs and level intro’s.
- Simple control scheme. Drop bombs and pick them up and move, Thats it.
- Level layouts in story mode are randomised to a certain degree.
- Instant restarts.
- You have one life to beat a level or its game over.
- Battle mode needs to have more multi bomb pickup drop frequency.
- No customisable options for you character.
- Can be hard to see where you are dropping the bomb and this more evident when trying to do a sneaky bomb drop.
- Difficulty spikes through out the game.
In Summary, It Bomberman in fancy dress!We didn’t have a Bomberman game on Wii U until now and it plays just as well. It is a fun game to play and like Bomberman is so much better in local multiplayer. Online play would of been awesome but Il take this for now. The main story is alright but the AI enemies are really annoying and turns the game into a puzzler more than a action game. Battle mode has so much replayability but does need a few more levels. For a first attempt its a really good game but hopefully in a sequel we get just a bit more content. A must for Bomberman fans and new players alike!