Review: Bombing Busters (PS4)
Have a blast! Bomb oodles of nasty critters in a series of 30 wicked mazes! Defeat hellish bosses in heroic fights! Play solo or with friends, offline or online, in merciless battles! Embark on a hilarious journey with the witty Dr. Wallow to conquer the galaxy in this explosively fun arcade game!
- Brilliant chunky HD cartoon graphics.
- 13 Trophies to unlock.
- Bomberman clone. For the uneducated or the ones out there too young! Its a game in which players are in a maze and must drop bombs and blow up crates/boxes collect power ups and blow up the other players.
- Family friendly name change as it goes from Bombing Bastards to Bombing Busters.
- Story mode has 5 different environments to unlock, Each world has five levels and a boss battle at the end.
- Battle mode (more arcade mode) is where you pick AI players,difficulty, change the rules and upto 5 players can play local multiplayer.
- Loads of power ups are in the game, from increased explosion range to pick up bombs, push bombs through blocks and many many more.
- Different environments have unique environmental effects like wind blowing everything to the left for example or ice breaking.
- The soundtrack is classical music with an up beat remix.
- Use the d pad or analogue stick.
- If you die in battle mode, you will re spawn on the side of the maze in a tank, Here you can try and blow up the remaining players. Dropping a bomb on a players head will daze them and momentarily stun them.
- Three star reward system is in use for story mode and is based off time taken. Every story level has a five minute timer.
- Opening tutorial section.
- Voice acting is good and can be turned off in the menu.
- Helpful pop ups and hints throughout the game.
- Options allow you to mess with the audio settings, voice overs and level intro’s.
- Online play for 2 to 8 players.
- Simple control scheme. Drop bombs and pick them up and move, Thats it.
- You can re bind control options.
- Level layouts in story mode are randomised to a certain degree.
- Instant restarts.
- You have one life to beat a level or its game over.
- Battle mode needs to have more multi bomb pickup drop frequency.
- No customisable options for you character.
- Can be hard to see where you are dropping the bomb and this more evident when trying to do a sneaky bomb drop.
- Difficulty spikes through out the game.
- Online is the old system where you need to give out your IP address and have players join you.
- No local/online mix for players.
In Summary, This is still the definitive Bomberman clone on the current market. Its fun to play, Has great local multiplayer. Adding a remix of classical songs is a stroke of genius with a decent story. The only bugbear I have is it uses such an old archaic online infrastructure.I hoped it was just a PC thing but it has spread to the PS4 version. You cannot just join random games or setup an open room. Instead you have to tell people your room name or IP address. That aside its still a brilliant game and at a cheap price point its defiantly worth owning. Online is only used to play with friends so its not all doom and gloom.