Review: BoxVR (PlayStation VR)
Rhythm-Based Boxing Inspired Workouts. The only VR workout app with regularly updated workouts by professional fitness instructors.
- Realistic graphics.
- 3.10gb download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Basic short repeatable tutorial.
- Uses two Move controllers.
- Boxercise fitness gameplay.
- Three modes-Classes, My workouts and multiplayer.
- Three locations-Gym (daytime), gym (night time) and weird Sci-fi place.
- Game- balls come at you and you punch, dodge, and duck them! Think physical Guitar Hero.
- Actions- Jab, cross, uppercut, dodge left/right, squat and block.
- Combo counter.
- UI in game shows time left, combo and calories burned.
- End of the game hit percentage screen along with the best combo.
- Classes-broken down by time, each has its own playlist, leaderboard, and stat tracker.
- Two colors- (affects ball and glove color).
- Over 50 tracks from hip hop, Rock and pop.
- My workouts–create a playlist which sets the time and then you can choose 3 difficulties easy, medium and hard.
- Music player-listen to any track.
- Multiplayer-join online classes.
- Leaderboard support.
- Can’t fail a song.
- So satisfying.
- Proper sweat-inducing workout.
- In game calibration tools.
- The sfx when hitting the ball sounds like a punchbag being hit.
- No need for a physical punchbag!
- No squat option.
- Profile-set your gender, weight, and age.
- No multiple profiles option.
- Don’t think the calorie counter is very accurate.
- No countdown/rest after pausing.
- Music player doesn’t have fast forward.
- Really long initial load.
- Glitches sometimes where it will black screen or keep the laser on screen.
- Shows instructor faces on each class but it’s just cosmetic.
- Occasional hit detection issue.
- Have to pause the game to find out the current song.
- No good way to track progress to see your improvement.
- Can’t use your own music.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibility - 9/109/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
You’ve heard the story before, a VR game comes out and claims to be a fitness app slash game and it will change your life blah blah blah. BoxVR is not a game slash app it is a proper workout machine! I mean straight away the game feels right, it’s responsive and so easy to grasp. Do a few classes and you land up getting hooked. Course next day you feel it with sore muscles but who cares. The sweat will poor as you punch and duck your way to the surprisingly upbeat soundtrack. Yes, I want more locations and have actual instructors but seriously what you get is so dam good. Box VR has actually been integrated into my workout regime and so far it is kicking my ass and I love it. The satisfaction far outweighs the sweat and pain. BoxVR is a must own experience and having your ass kicked has never felt so good!