Review: CastleStorm Definitive Edition PS4
Welcome to the world of CastleStorm, a super genre mash-up of 2D physics destruction mashed with tower defense brawler!
- Nice chunky hand drawn graphics. The backdrops are really nice to look at with some incredible detail work on the castles themselves.
- Game play is a mash-up of genres. I would sum it up as a Angry Birds tower defense game with 2D brawler mechanics.
- Opening tutorial section split into different areas.
- Control layout is simple and memorable. You get the diagram of the layout on certain loading screens. You use the left stick for aiming projectiles whilst the right stick is for zooming around the map. Face buttons are assigned to moves/items that you pick in the load out screen.
- Game speech can and does come out of the DS4 speaker.
- Solid fun game play that is really easy to pick up and play.
- Single player has many options available: Campaign/Story,Skirmish,Survival and Hero survival.
- Multiplayer is split between online and local but both have the same game types: Survival,Hero survival and straight up versus mode.
- Before you play any level whether your doing story or online, You can setup your castle, choose your load-outs and basically set up your own build.
- You can create and edit your own castles and upgrade rooms within it or add extra defense items.
- You earn money in game for winning matches,killing heroes and destroying the enemy base. Food is earned from your kitchens in your castle. Both of these things are used to purchase the use of heroes and magic in the game.
- Online leader boards with filter options.
- General rule for winning is to either destroy the enemy castle or steal the flag by breaking the door down.
- Loads of unlock-able levels,characters and castles.
- Three difficulty options are: Casual,Normal and Hard.
- Handy pop up hints in game.
- Can replay levels at any time to improve the score or try again at a harder difficulty.
- Friend invite system.Story mode has the main story quest but also side bonus objectives appear for extra loot.
- End of level screen gives you a breakdown via stats on your performance, A star rating system which is mainly determined by speed and difficulty.
- The music is good and fits the game well.
- Fast loading game.
- Text in game is a bit small.
- The sticks are really sensitive so precise shots is a bit hard.
- Split screen local play whilst fun, Is hard to see whats going on as the screen gets really compact.
- Annoyance at a lot of decent game modes are locked at the beginning.
- Few menu oversights like setting up your load out you don’t expect to do it then back out of it all, A continue button would be good to make it clearer.
- The price is a bit steep and with no Platinum trophy, This could put a lot of players off.
In Summary, There is no denying the fact that this game is a lot of fun to play, It has so much going on and is all presented in such a way that you cannot help but fall for its charms. Everyone might not like Angry Birds but the core concept of it ie destroying things is one mechanic we all like. Here you get that but also get to do proper 2D fighting, cast magic,capture flags and generally have fun. I wouldnt say its a game you could play non stop for days but it is perfect for a small session every now and then. The price is a bit high but it does provide a lot of content and has all the multiplayer bases covered. Worth a look for sure.