Review: Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood (PlayStation 4)
Experience two of the greatest games from the famous Castlevania series.
Make your way to the top of Dracula’s castle as Richter Belmont, descendant of the famed clan of vampire hunters, in ‘Rondo of Blood’, or take the leading role as Dracula’s son Alucard in ‘Symphony of the Night’.
- Classic graphics.
- 1.34GB Download size.
- Display options- Size= Normal/full, Scanlines, Interlace, Smoothness and a choice of 6 wallpapers.
- Japanese/English voice option.
- Metroidvania gameplay.
- Rondo of Blood- Can rebind controls.
- Uses DS4 speaker on both games for drops and collecting items.
- Quick save- Saves exactly where you are (save state style).
- Can quit the game to go back to the menu to change games.
- Supports analog and d-pad.
- Platinum trophy.
- Cannot skip cutscenes.
- No state saves.
- Cannot change display settings or options when in game.
- Analog on SOTN feels off, almost sluggish.
- Only one Platinum trophy across both games.
- Ugly menu/game selection.
- Quick save is just a one time use thing and is only used if you need to end suddenly.
- No extras like making of or concept art.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Look, let’s face it, This is two of the best games ever created and SOTN basically created the now popular “Vania” genre. But not having any extras chucked into a remaster/rerelease in 2018 is almost criminal. Yes, we get a quick save but come on how about state save. Do not allow the lack of extras sway you though, These are two amazing games and pack so much content, SOTN, in particular, is a master class in level design and execution, The soundtrack is next level. I just cannot stop banging on about how good it is that this collection exists, I just wished it was more of a celebration than a quick cash release. Either way, you really need to play this if you have never played it and hell, Buy it even if you have played it before!