Review: Catastronauts (PlayStation 4)
Can you deal with unrelenting disaster and hold your ship together long enough to destroy the enemy invaders? Repair systems, extinguish fires, arm the torpedoes, avoid deadly solar flares, destroy your friends and clone them back again; it’s all in the life of a Catastronaut!
- Chunky cartoon graphics.
- 1.36GB Download size.
- 1-4 local multiplayer support.
- Platinum trophy.
- Six characters to choose from.
- Overall level select hub.
- Overcooked in space!
- Gameplay- You need to repair damage and fire your guns onto the enemy and blow them up before they blow you up.
- Level performance is measured on a 1-3 star system.
- Can replay levels.
- Solo play is supported and you control two characters with hot-swapping.
- Level completion photo, You get a countdown so you can pose.
- Introduces new mechanics and scenarios as you progress like doors locking, bombs, cloning and so much more.
- Fire spreads if left alone long enough.
- Fast loading times.
- Simple controls.
- Fast frantic action.
- Six hubs with a handful of levels on each hub.
- Some really good level design.
- No online co-op.
- Solo play is difficult and not a lot of fun.
- Simple trophy list.
- Just feels a bit lifeless, No real atmosphere.
- Introduces new mechanics but never really explains them.
- Forgettable characters.
- The story is just an afterthought.
- To be honest you will only care about 3 starring levels for the trophies and with that, there is little incentive to go all out.
- No competitive modes.
- Aiming and using the fire extinguisher is awkward at first as you are always moving when aiming.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
A lot of similarities to Overcooked here and to be honest its a complete riff on it, That is not a bad thing it is just the facts. You would look into this game if you wanted the frantic co-op goodness of Overcooked but in a different setting. The game is solid and does play really well. You need to pick up items in order to do tasks like pick up a toolbox to fix guns or cracks for example. You can drop them at any time and fire guns upon the enemy and its all very well put together. I just don’t like how the atmosphere just feels flat and the story is such a back of the mind thing. Also just like in Overcooked the solo play is not the best way to play this. I just wanted this game to have more incentive to do better and unlock new cool modes or characters, Its just very much a one mode one-trick game. For some that will be fine but for others, you will miss all the extra charm a game like overcooked brings. In short, it is like overcooked but in space with some really cool scenarios but it is best only in local mp and not for the solo gamer.