Review: Conan Exiles (PlayStation 4)
An open world survival game set in the lands of Conan the Barbarian. Survive in a vast and seamless world, build a home and kingdom, dominate your enemies in single and multiplayer.
- Nice graphics.
- 53.18gb Download size.
- Two controller layout options.
- Online or offline play.
- Can activate co-op on your save.
- Four difficulties- Civilized, Decadent, Barbaric and custom allowing you tweak all the sliders for things like enemy health, strength, food/water levels etc.
- Open world survival game.
- =Food/water and hot and cold management system in play.
- Earn EXP and level up. Use level up points to increase your stats.
- Learn recipes with unlocked points from leveling up. once you learn a recipe you can craft that item.
- Bedroll- Disposable respawn point.
- Map fills in as you find points of interest, Towns, and cities. you can mark the map with your own icons.
- Crafting can be done in the menu and you are presented with a list of materials and can see the progress bar. Another cool feature is you can choose to craft one at a time or in bulk.
- Death- Choose spawn point, Bed, Bedroll or a random location.
- Enemy camp/settlements are all over the map and some hidden away.
- Tools- Using different tools on a thing can yield different results. Example hit a tree with an axe for wood but hit it with a pickaxe for bark.
- Can climb any wall using your stamina.
- Stamina is used for wall climbing, Running and fighting and comes back slowly.
- Day/night cycle.
- Full server control like passwords, Seeds, Life of items and objects, Player and enemy health and os much more.
- Online- PvE and PvP.
- Can make the game as easy or as hard as you want.
- Full Platinum trophy.
- Clan support.
- Feels and plays a lot like Ark survival evolved.
- First and 3rd person views.
- Servers- Official and rented, Has a server browser with filters.
- Huge massive map with many biomes like desert, Jungle, and snow.
- Play how you want.
- Best played in mp.
- The world is full of mystery and wonders with lore and rare findings.
- Terrifying animals inhabit the world and will hunt you down on land, sea or air.
- A lot of game.
- A wide variety of animals.
- Challenges- Loosely based on progression, It is a big collection of actions like craft your first axe, Make camp, Go here and there etc. Finishing one will give upgrade points.
- Fun can be had if you put the time in.
- Great sense of adventure.
- Bad performance both online and offline from slowdown to juddering and screen tearing.
- Combat is sloppy and inaccurate.
- Small text.
- Little to no tutorials as it is entwined with the challenges.
- Long load times.
- Music and sound effects are badly out of sync.
- The first hour maybe even two is rough as you struggle to find your purpose, The controls and how it all works.
- Nothing is really explained.
- A weird thing where you jump everytime you leave the water.
- Some sketchy animations.
- Server browser takes an age to load.
- Feels and plays like Ark Survival Evolved.
- The world is sparse in single player offline.
- Clipping issues.
- Takes a while to get going.
- Dying is a pain if only for the nature of it, The load times and the actual respawn point.
- Building a base is just frustrating when starting out due to encumbrance, Space and how many parts are needed.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 4/104/10
- Accessability - 5/105/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 6/106/10
Conan struggles to get going at every opportunity. You can get game from it but it will be after many hours of fiddling around with the controls, Swearing at yet another stupid death from nothing and navigating the ever-expanding menu system. Even if you manage to get over that the performance will feel like the game hates you and what you to feel pain. Sound won’t kick in fights so it plays out like a battle royale Mime fight then BOOM all the sounds all at once. Yeah not cool. Ok so I am somewhat negative and to be honest it is justified, I mean if you want to like the game then it does have good parts like the world, The lore, and huge crafting table but to be honest you can get that from other more polished games. Just ask yourself do like glitchy? Huh well, do you? If you want to fight for your enjoyment then perfect if not, Wait till the game gets a nice clean iron pressed over dem bugs.