Review: Contra Rogue Corps (PlayStation 4)
CONTRA is back! Two years after the Alien Wars ended, the Damned City erupts from the final battleground. From the midst of the chaos, a group of scoundrels emerges.
- OK, graphics.
- 10.86gb download size.
- Shmup gameplay.
- Four characters-Kaiser, Ms. Harakiri, HB (half beast and Gentleman.
- Platinum trophy.
- HDR support.
- Base camp-hub where you are free to walk around. You can do shooting range, shop, surgery, character select, missions, and multiplayer PVP.
- Guns-earn exp and level them up to increase stats. Using a gun earns exp.
- Rad-name for weapon mods. Find these in-game or buy them to add new abilities/stats to a gun. You have multiple slots and is all governed by power. Each rad has power.
- Big boss and mini-boss encounters.
- Player card-show off any earned medals, choose an avatar and shows stats.
- Buy/sell items.
- Loot shooter element.
- Clear easy to read Hud and Ui.
- A lot of over the top explosions.
- Respawn on the spot.
- Contra of old- sound effects, bombs and shooting gallery view which is a face on encounter harking back to the walls and barricades of the older games.
- Kill move-what has replaced the bomb but still uses the icon, do a high amount of damage in a small area with each character having a different animation.
- Crates-can pick up and throw them or shoot them as they might have pickups.
- Items drop from enemies.
- Surgery-when adding a new transplant you can choose 1 of 3 surgeon’s to do it and they have a chance to add an extra bonus.
- Exploration missions-unlock them and they are random locations with random enemies and are split into levels so you can quit if you die and get game over you lose everything.
- Hidden areas.
- Couch Co op support-4 player with player 1 getting all the loot at the end and the other players just a clone of player one.
- Online Co-op both private and public lobbies as well as a server browser.
- Combo counter.
- Easy to grasp controls.
- Camera angles make the game feel and play differently.
- None of the weapons/gear are tied to a specific character.
- Can blow up vehicles and barrels.
- Matchmaking is slow and you can only browse one particular level as its not universal. Once it starts searching you cannot quit.
- Doesn’t explain things well.
- Shooting/aiming goes weird in certain views and feels almost inverted.
- Bullet sponge enemies and bosses.
- Camera angles are constantly changing.
- You can turn it off but the surgery sections have a pointless cutscene.
- Pain to sort/change gear especially the implants.
- Swapping characters is slow if you plan on switching guns.
- Can’t change difficulty in-game.
- Transplants can fail but still cost and this is never mentioned.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
Contra Rogue Corps is a shoot em up within a 3d setting forgoing the traditional 2d setting we all know and love. With this transition comes great sacrifice, most notably the gameplay is just not as tight and fun as the earlier games. It tries to keep some of the charms like icons and the occasional sound bites and maybe even set-pieces but it’s just not the same. Its camera is not ever in your control and with that, you get constant changes sometimes jarring sometimes pleasant but you never know. Adding loot shooting should have been a fun addition but in reality, it’s something you soon forget as it’s just a small colored block you pick up, it’s meant mostly to add mods to weapons but they just don’t feel important. Transplants again like weapons are just not that important and even the actual guns fall, victim, I picked a machine gun and homing gun and never changed them as they were enough to deal with everything. A couple of mods added when I could be bothered to check and that’s it. It’s a bummer for me overall as the enemies are just bullet sponges and it’s only really the Co-op aspect that keeps it around as at least you can chat and laugh. I kept playing and playing hoping something would mix it up but it just never came so for me it’s a game I enjoy in very small doses but even then one bad level and I’m done.