Review: Crystal Crisis (Nintendo Switch)
An all-star cast of heroes has gathered to test their mettle in Crystal Crisis, a cute and chaotic new color-matching combat game! Crystal Crisis is presented like a one-on-one fighting game, but instead of kicking and punching, players attack by arranging colorful falling crystals and clearing them from the screen. It’s the ultimate puzzle battle throwdown!
- Cartoon graphics.
- 1.8gb download size.
- Optional tutorial.
- Own achievements system.
- Match 3 battler gameplay.
- 20 characters to unlock including a few cameos.
- Has a real Super Puzzle Fighter vibe.
- Each character has a defensive and offensive special moves that you charge by clearing blocks. They have 3 bars that represent power.
- Pause menu gives details on each characters moves.
- Moves/actions: Rotate left/right, hard drop and split where you put a block on either side of the matrix.
- The goal is to match colors together and then blow them up with a spark block that matches the color.
- Chain attacks.
- Earn score.
- Story mode- plays out as matches with cutscenes and each match you generally get to pick which character to play as that’s on screen.
- Easy to learn and play.
- Multiple color layout for the Hud and blocks.
- 5 modes- Arcade, Story, Vs, Online and training.
- Online-Ranked, unranked, custom, Vs friends and leaderboards.
- Arcade-Standard, survival, in line, tag team, and memory.
- Vs-standard, in line, tag team, and memory.
- Music player.
- Gallery-concept and character art.
- 5 AI difficulties-Normal, advanced, expert, master and grandmaster.
- Game settings- rounds 1-5 and game speed 1-5.
- Can change grid perspective from angled to flat.
- English and Japanese voice work.
- So much fun to play.
- Endless replayability.
- Long loading times between each match.
- No touchscreen.
- Can’t skip cutscenes.
- Lots of loading.
- No real warning of attacks.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibilities - 9/109/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
For so many years I have wanted a definitive remaster/re-release of Super Puzzle Fighter on current gen or even pc. Whilst it has still not happened, I do now have a game that is parallel to Puzzle Fighter. Crystal Crisis is a proper addictive match 3 battler that has so much going for it. It plays recall y well, looks cool and has so many different modes including online. My only beef is the sheer amount and length of loading times, it just sucks all the will to keep playing sometimes. Get pa’s it though and you get a game you can tweak to your liking and relive those Puzzle Fighter matches or even create new ones. Bottom line is Crystal Crisis is a beautiful game and so Goddam addictive and fun!