Review: CubeMen 2 Wii U
Cubemen 2 is fast-paced 3D strategy game in which the player controls an army of Cubemen, using them to battle against enemies in a range of modes, including CTF, Skirmish and Territory. Players can create and share their own levels using the game’s built-in level editor.
- Classic cubed graphics. Yes like Minecraft but I like to say cubed.
- Tower defence game at heart.
- Huge option menu allowing you to tweak many aspects of the game. From changing camera invert, rotate speed, music options like what tunes play on what screens just as an example.
- Name your character and even set your player skin and level skin choice.
- Player skins are vast and broad, Go from your traditional criminals,cops skins to the more whacky zombies, NFL players and so many more. Level skins have the same depth and variety but also include Egyptian, fantasy and even Minecraft inspired levels.
- Tutorial sections for both beginners and advanced controls.
- Controls are all touchscreen.
- Off screen play and more of a mirrored effort than a dedicated seperate option. You can set the audio to come from the TV or the Gamepad though so thats good.
- Has its own achievements system.
- Local stats and scores. Can be filtered but also shows scores on individual levels on the level select screen so you never forget what levels you have/havent played.
- Two single player campaigns-Beginner and advanced.
- Online play allows you to host or join games.
- Selection of pre made levels to play however you like.
- Seven game modes can be used for online play and one off games. Five of the modes are SP/MP with more emphasis on MP. Available modes here are: skirmish,CTF,territory, king of the hill and deflector. Two modes left are defense and rescue and are singleplayer only.
- Game setup allows you to change loads of things from AI options/particitate, level skins,player skins, score limit and many more.
- Play against AI/humans or mix it together.
- Create and share levels with others. Download other players levels and instantly the game gets unlimited DLC.
- Really detailed level creator with some powerful tools at your disposal.
- Many troop types to play as that bring many different elements to the game. From typical guns like assault rifles to bazookas to enemies that turn into land mines.
- Can upgrade troops in game to increase health/ammo and effectivness.
- Level up system, earn exp.
- So much content in the game.
- Text is reall small even on the big TV.
- No real need to look at the TV in actuality. You have to focus so much on your team and looking at the game pad is more priority than the big screen. To look at the screen and control the game would be really tricky.
- no custom skins or skin editor.
- Bit of a slow starter.
- Difficulty spikes but this is more to having to take alot of new things in.
- Camera still feels tricky.
- Quite a large learning curve.
In Summary, Wow so much content! The gameplay is fast furious and above all else, Fun to play. The single player is very dry and just a big tutorial, Playing against bots on hard and against other players is the true game. the game allows you to customise so much and make it how you want it. I personally would like to have a few better fonts and bigger menu layouts but its me eyes giving up on me I expect. For what you buy you get a solid tower defense game with loads of game types, user created levels sharing and an awesome soundtrack. Worth every penny and suits the Wii U perfectly.