Review: Cuphead (Steam)
Cuphead is a classic run and gun action game heavily focused on boss battles.
- Graphics are just out of this world. Hand drawn hand animated and beautifully crafted, Looks like a 1930s cartoon.
- 11188GB Download size.
- Full controller support.
- Steam trading cards.
- Authentic 1930 audio complete with the hisses and pops.
- Optional tutorial.
- Gameplay is a shooter both as a platformer and a boss rush style.
- Graphics- Resolution, Display, V-Sync, Overscan/brightness and colour bleed sliders.
- Rbind keys both controller and keyboard.
- Three save slots.
- World map level select.
- Two player co op local support.
- Two player- Each player has their own loadout, options and control layout.
- Difficult game. No checkpoints.
- Two game types- Platform run ‘n’ gun and boss battles.
- Bosses go through transformation stages multiple times in a game. Each game its random as to what transformations you get.
- Wide selection of powerups with plus and minus points like more health less powerful shots or invisible dash.
- Instant restarts.
- Can revive local players with a ghost parry.
- Parry- Anything pink or your friends ghost can be parried with a quick double tap press of a button. Aside from reviving, Hitting pink things will add to your specials charge.
- Special moves- Powers up from shooting enemies and parrying. Unleashes a unique to each gun special. Let the bar fill to the max and you do a much stronger one off attack.
- A great game for both playing and watching.
- Some of the best boss fight designs ever seen in a game.
- End of level rank awarded by performance like time taken, Hits, coins collected etc.
- Can replay any level anytime.
- Perfect pass and play game.
- Satisfying to master as every kill has you fist pumping the air like a madman.
- Everytime you play the bosses it is like a new game.
- Every death you learn something new about not only the game but also yourself.
- Really difficult.
- High barrier entry point. Having to finish a level in order to move on is a big thing.
- No enemy health bars.
- Screen can get very busy.
- Controllers are not invincible.
- You may lose respect for your childish tantrums.
- Not everyone likes people who swear.
- Graphics - 10/1010/10
- Sound - 10/1010/10
- Accessability - 9/109/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 10/1010/10
Cuphead just misses out on top marks as the high difficulty will put gamers off. I know I know but it is still a thing even if you yourself can handle it. Anyway the game is just incredible and it is very much a Concorde moment. The amount of work and time that went into this game means we may never see another game quite like this again. I hope I am wrong of course as the the biggest challenge in the game is playing it without smiling or laughing at it for its sheer beauty. I will be playing this for years, Probably because I suck and at the moment its like one level a week completion speed so I will be getting my moneys worth!